Weird Wonderware IO Server issue - FTView may be involved!

tomalbright

...although I don't see how. We had some programmers using FTView to update some panelview screens. Turns out, they had problems with their files, and only installed one. They use V5 of FTView, and I've stayed away from that, and use only FTView4.0 files. While they were working, we were getting a loss of communication with the PLCs near them. This is all remote radio stuff.

Turns out, our Wonderware IO server (or servers, there are 2) needed to be restarted to get things back in line. All the process network is handled by a router in the Wonderware server system, too. Weird, and I'm monitoring it to see if the problem is indeed gone. BTW, straight ethernet comms to the CLX PLCs worked perfectly, we just lost data.

My question is, how the heck can FTView, or the attempt at loading Panelview files, affect the WW IO Server? They, of course, claim it wasn't them, and I'm inclined to believe that, but with a failure of 3 for 3 systems worked on, I'm suspicious.

A completely wild guess is that it was the PanelView Plus terminals either terminating their optimized tag collection or re-starting it that caused some conflict with the Wonderware IO Servers also running optimized tag collection.

Strictly speaking it wasn't FTView Studio or the download process, but rather the disconnection and reconnection of an RSLinx Enterprise client (the PanelViews) to the controllers.

But that's just a guess. I'd have to plug in with an analyzer to figure out if the comms failures were on the network side or the software side.

Strictly speaking it wasn't FTView Studio or the download process, but rather the disconnection and reconnection of an RSLinx Enterprise client (the PanelViews) to the controllers.

Thanks Ken. That's my current thinking on this, too. A "disruption in the Force", I guess! :ROFLMAO: It looks like things were out of sync with at least one of the servers. I suspect DASABCIP was confused about tags or something. It's weird that it killed the whole connection. I say "killed", the PLC data was slow to come in, but we would get some data that seemed ok all the time. Working on the PV, but it affected the PLC? I think if they screwed up the remote local network with the PV communication, that might have set things out of whack remotely, and the servers picked up on it, and it "stuck" on the server side.

o_O All is fine this morning...

We had a similar issue with a bagger that had WW installed on the HMI, what we found was that a contractor had come in and connected to the PLC and updated the revision in order to communicate with PLC. When he updated the PLC it caused conflict with WW DASABCIP which would show comms but the tags wouldn't update, once we updated DASABCIP issue was resolved.

Hi Guys,

We are having problem with wonderware, it just stops time to time and all we get is straight line for every data trend. Then we disable the server and re-enable it and it comes back to life. anyone knows the reason??
Another thing, Can we setup wonderware so that if for some time it is not getting response from specific plc (I mean the plc is powered off), it should stop trying to excess all the tags from that plc and only retry when the plc comes on next time?

Welcome to the Forum !

I see that all of your posts have been to threads that are several years old and are only tangentially related to the products or applications you are asking about.

Please start new threads for your questions; click the "Start A New Thread" button at the upper left.

That will allow Forum members to directly answer your questions, rather than having to change topics in the middle of an old thread.

If there is an old thread that is very similar to your current problem, you can create a link to the thread for reference. A thread pertaining to "problems with Wonderware" is not similar enough to your trending questions to be referenced.

In addition, please provide specific information about the operating systems and software versions you are using. Wonderware's v4 drivers on XP might have different compatibility issues than Wonderware's v5 drivers on Windows 7.