Keyence, Omron, Mitsubishi

plcBen

Hello,
I have programmed AB (SLC and micro) at previous companies. I am venturing into my own business. For cost and 'breadth' of skill-set, I am going to obtain a Mitsubishi (FX), Omron( CP1H), or Keyence (KV) PLC. I'm looking for 'brick' units like AB Micro. I'm also looking for some analog I/O and something to control positioning. Of the three I just mentioned, does anyone have a good idea of how these compare with each other? Also, is Keyence KV capable of the same functionality of Micro (AB) . . . it would be nice if it does. Keyence is extremely low-cost. (software is $180 one-time fee only)
Thanks

I am venturing into my own business.

Good luck with your new adventure, I did it a few years back and have loved it, ups and downs but its great

Not that anything is wrong with your choice of PLC's but why did you choose that 3?

What are you doing with your business? machine manufacture, troubleshooting/service or other

Let me know if you need help with the cables, I can give you a discount and help with your business start up.... I also have a lot of PLC's

Thanks

Thanks,
I chose those PLC's for a couple of reasons- 1. I'm trying to go a lower-cost route than Allen Bradely 2. there are several local companies that use thos brands(I intend to target them for business.
I am familiar with AB, and I will probably still use them, but I've currently been checking out the Omron and Mitsubishi product line. They seem good. Keyence is a little mysterious to me, but I have to consier the fact that their software is only $180. My impression of Keyence, though, is that there is not much tech support in the US for the PLC's.
I appreciate the offer for help/cables/plc's, etc. Can you tell me a little more about your products?
To answer your other question, I plan to do simple workcells (nothing too complex . . . hence my use of the small 'brick' units.) I also do CAD and vision systems (cognex).
Thanks again

Mitsubishi is good but I have found that they cost more then AB, Omron also good but the same NOT cheap...

I think its a great idea to learn them and support your customers, I do the same for my customers and they have every PLC under the sun :) , but I would stay away from Keyence I do not like their products even if the PLCs were free and they paid me to take the software... but this is just me, I have heard others talk good about them and they have very good other products

If you are looking for low cost PLC's (brick style) and cheap software (for new projects) then you have a few options

Automation Direct ~ (Click PLC's) cheap PLC's and free software
Allen Bradley ~ (MicroLogix 1000 and 1100) Free software
Siemens 1200 ~ small brick with ethernet for around 200-250 with analog

For my products see here www.plctrainer.net or my new (halfway done site) www.ind-concepts.com also eBay http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?LH_Spec...&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=10&_sc=1

Ben,

Can you provide some additional information as to what the product or service of your business is going to be as well as the industry or industries you are looking to target?

You had also mentioned needing some analog. Do you know the quantity and type that you will require?

This may help in your selection of a controller platform.

I represent a line of embedded PLCs from Entertron that may be of interest. (link provided in signature) The software is free and the controllers are robust and you will have many analog options.

Last edited: