Cheapskate Employers

PhilipW

Wellington, New Zealand. Islands on the edge of th
I get a regular jobsite newsletter and this morning the following gem arrived:

PLC Programmer

European Gold Mine
Hourly rate circa $35
Experience essential

Our client, a large electrical manufacturer located in the northern suburbs, is looking to appoint an experienced PLC Programmer for a short-term project.

The main focus of this role will be to work from the WA office to develop the control systems for a new European Gold Mine using Modicon Quantam PLCs.

The successful candidate will have a tertiary qualification in Electrical Engineering with a working knowledge of Modicon Quantam PLCs (or similar). Experience in the mining industry would be seen as an advantage but is not essential.

It will do no good at all I know but I replied with the following "steam release":

I can't help but comment that the pay rate mentioned above is PATHETIC!!!

This is barely above what I would expect for a full -time position with holidays, sick pay, medical and redundancy.

But for a contractor, who is expected to fund all the above from his own pocket, plus no doubt any other expenses...it is just plain foolish to work at this rate.

Normally I charge $A70 per hour for short-term work, and maybe negotiable down to $A55 for longer-term contracts > 3 months.

Oh yes I am certain you will get someone to do the job...but I would question their experience, quality of work and time efficiency.

I am fed up with employers treating skilled Automation Engineers who are performing a vital function with pay and conditions less than they would pay plumbers and carpenters.

Needless to say you know were they can put their "contract". Have a nice day.

Last edited: