What employers are looking for

Hi all, I have a great interest and pleasure of programming PLCs. I would like to know what employers are looking for in their PLC programmers. I would like to someday program PLCs full time. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.
Sincerely:
Maintenance man.

There aren't very many jobs where all you do is program PLCs. People who write PLC programs are generally responsible for most, if not all of the controls on a machine or process. The PLC is just one of many tools in your toolbox.

To land a position where you get to write PLC programs, you need to demonstrate a thorough knowlege of the things the PLC is going to be controlling (the outputs) and the things the PLC monitors (the inputs) in order to make the decisions about how to control them. Learn all you can about the components in use in the industries you expect to be working in.

Take a walk around your facility. Anything with wires connected to it is probably involved the control system. If you don't recognize it or understand what it does or how it works, find out.

In addition, learn enough of the science involved in getting the job done at your facility. That would be enough physics so that if the boss says you have to move 1000 pounds from point A to point B in half a second, you can figure out how big a pneumatic or hydraulic cylinder it will take to make it happen. If you work in the process industry, learn enough chemistry to understand the processes your PLC program will be controlling. If you're controlling thermal processes, you'll need a basic understanding of thermodynamics. No matter what the industry, you'll need enough math to be able to understand the equations that establish the relationshps between the parameters.

Don't forget that you will need to know as much as you can about operating systems and networking. All that IT history helps - especially in troubleshooting SCADA systems.

Thank you all for replying to my post. I just found out yesterday that the company I work for is going to put all our equipment on line so equipment will no longer be stand alone only. We have Micro logix 1500s, Slc 500s and Rs logix 5000 PLCs which are going to all be on line. I was told we are also going with more automated equipment for moving product. I put this post out before I knew they were going to do this. I have wrote PLC programs for this company and the Maintenance manager told me he wants me involved in this new process change. We have 6 plants which are going to be changed one at a time to make all of them more automated. Our plant is going to start making the changes next month. I have been around PLCs for over 9 years in which I worked for a previous company that was on line and fully automated. We are going to need some controls technicians which I was told I will be. So I guess to answer my own question for at least the company I work for is; ‘I am what they are looking for”. The advice you all have given is very useful which I will make sure I take the proper math classes for the automation field I want to go in.
Sincerely:
Maintenance Man.
(y)(y)🍻:D

A coworker on my shift was a process controls manager for another company; which we have had a lot of conversations about the improvements that could take place by installing a Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition system to help improve up time, by having a way to monitor equipment with sensors to help detect problems and fix them before they fail. With our equipment soon to go on line, this will be a good opportunity to make these improvements. I am very happy that my employer is going to do these things to keep up with new technologies. I am going to take a course in Mechtronics at our local tech school where I can transfer 50 credit hours from it to another local college to work on an Engineering degree. I like to learn about automation including PLCs in my free time also, which is a hobby of mine. I feel to be good at this industry; one has to really enjoy the technology on and off work.

Sincerely:
Maintenance Man
📚:D:beerchug::po_O(y)(y)