AB & UDP protocol

Helky

Hi!

I have analyzator which uses UDP/IP protocol. I need to connect analyzator to Allen Bradley. Customer have AB1786-ENBT, but if I understand right it does not support UDP.

Customer have previously used 1768-EWEB but they said that they dont want to use it anymore.

So what other options I have?
Does Prosoft have modules that I can use?
Have anyone used Prosoft module for that kind of solution?

I think by "analyzator" you mean a process analyzer, like an instrument that measures dissolved gases or pH. Is this correct ?

TCP and UDP are transport protocols; the application protocol that runs over them is crucial. Examples of common application protocols in the computer world are HTTP, FTP, SNMP, and SMB.

In the industrial world, ProfiNet and EtherNet/IP and Modbus/TCP are common application protocols. Rockwell's EtherNet/IP protocol uses both TCP and UDP transports for different functions.

The major question is what application protocol this analyzer uses. If the answer is that it's a totally custom protocol encapsulated in UDP, then the only options are the 1768-EWEB module or a module from Prosoft.

If the customer has successfully used the 1768-EWEB module previously, why do they not want to use it again ? Is it a matter of complexity, performance, cost, or something else ?

Yes, I mean process analyzator.
Customer says, it is matter of costs (with that -EWEB module). So they want to know other options..

Ethernet modules from Prosoft are similar in price to A-B Ethernet modules.

Your clients may find a gateway device from HMS Fieldbus (www.hms.se) that will satisfy their application. HMS just introduced a new gateway platform in November as an enhancement of their very successful gateway product line.