PLC - quartech - Servo system

looking for another set of eyes

i am planning on developing the following system

a DL06 PLC will control the machine.
ultra 3000 drive will control the motion.
between the DL06 PLC and ultra 3000 drive i am using QUARTECH 9112 communication bridge.

the comm bridge will give the operator the ability to manipulate distance speed and receive error from the drive through an HMI (C-MORE)

is there any disadvantages / advantages to such setup

thank youo_O

If you switched the C-More to a Red Lion G3, it could act as the bridge and you won't need the Quartech module at all. I am pretty sure the G3 will connect to a DL06. I know it has a driver for the Ultra3000 serial.

The Quartech is not going to be as bullet proof as the G3, plus it's another device that you have to program and keep connected. We used Quartechs to interface a PLC-5 to a bank of (4) Ultra 200 drives. It would monitor a range of integers and floats on a DH+ Channel, and send those to the Ultra Drives as serial commands to alter the Index distances, and speeds.

There were times when the quartech would freeze, and the changes made by the Panelview550 in the PLC-5 addresses were not sent to the axes...the OEM didn't program feedback from the Ultra back through the Quartech, so without editing the settings I could not close that gap. Maybe once a month I would have to power cycle it to fix that problem, so it was not a high priority. First Check procedure by the operator was a hand measurement of the feed length and splice width, so they knew right away when the change didn't go through.

Can the DL06 handle 32-bit integers ? I know that's the issue I ran into using older SLC and MicroLogix controllers when trying to send position setpoints to Ultra 3000 drives.

Can the DL06 handle 32-bit integers ? I know that's the issue I ran into using older SLC and MicroLogix controllers when trying to send position setpoints to Ultra 3000 drives.

Ken,
The DL-06 can handle 32-bit integers. I'm in the middle of a project where I have double words all over the place. You have to be careful about setting up your variables, as it can be easy to step on adjacent Vmem locations, but I imagine that's the case with any PLC. I just wish AD would get their numbers issue sorted out. All this BCD, REAL, DOUBLE, HEX shenanigans gets old after a while.

-rpoet

thank to all your inputs

for runing the index i will use PLC OUTPUT as an input to ULTRA3000. the quartech will only be used for data tranportation during setup time and error code reading from the PLC.

I beleive DL06 have the ability to load douple memory location and thus allow for 32 bit data tranfer to the drive

i will have also read back current setting from quartech if data did not match the operator will know that data did not transfere and quartech needed to be checked.

C-MORE touch screen and the dl06 PLC are already runing the machine the only upgrade will be for the motion control.

this is somewhat retrofit

Is there an ASCII module for the DL06? Aside from checksum calcs, you could talk direct to the ultra drives that way, but the quartech is probably going to be pretty easy to set up as far as time spent researching and programming. Make sure you set it up to read back the axis command positions and send that data back to the PLC so it can be displayed on the c-more...assuming the c-more is only connected to the DL06?

you are correct the C-MORE is directly connected to the dl06.

the DL06 does have ASCI option but as you mentioned the programming will grow complex.

also what do you guys think about this

the servo is driven a chain. the chain intreduce a strech factor. to compensate for this i will finish an index and wire done index output from drive into start homming input on the drive and then stop motor on homing sensor positive trigger.

is there an alternative methode that can be used?

thank you to all your answers

the servo is driven a chain. the chain introduce a stretch factor. to compensate for this i will finish an index and wire done index output from drive into start homming input on the drive and then stop motor on homing sensor positive trigger.

is there an alternative methode that can be used?

thank you to all your answers
It depends on what you're moving. Since there is backlash, there are numerous ways to compensate.

What is this servo axis doing? If it's feeding material then a registration sensor can account for slippage and drive train slack. If it's a linear axis, then a good chain tension system and frequent homing would be pretty good.

Can you change the belt drive to ... for example ... a Goodyear Eagle PD drive?

What type of motor (rpm/feedback resolution)? What type of reducer? What is the final driven element?

the first image is the drive gear and chain assembly, the other picture is the proposed homming sensor.

drvie part # 2098DSD075X

Motor # MPA1653FSJ72AA

Picture 025.jpg Picture 026.jpg

Home sensor: What kind of home sensor is that? If it's a retro-reflective photoeye, it should be fairly repeatable, if its a diffuse type, I would recommend switching to a convergent beam or retro-reflective.

So, your servo motor drives the small chain toward the back of the picture?

And the transport chain moves the axis back and forth? This makes it a linear axis if it has limits as opposed to a rotary axis that can keep going in the same direction indefinitely.

Chains are not as reliable as belts in my experience, but they are usually easier to replace without major disassembly. The tradeoff is slack that can lead to final position error.

If you keep the chain drive, just make sure you tune the motor well enough that you aren't sitting there humming and vibrating and wearing out spots on the chain where your servo sits enabled for parts of the cycle.

If you can get rid of the chain and replace it with one of the new herringbone style timing belts, you must have some means of tensioning the belt, but it will run clean, quiet and greatly reduce the backlash...Those EaglePD belts in my link above are awesome. They are extremely tough and much less likely to skip teeth than a regular timing belt. Plus, the timing pulleys don't need flanges on the sides, and they cannot walk off the sides even if misaligned a bit.

What is your position accuracy tolerance?

thanks for you information.

it is more rotary motion the drive will run in the same direction 24 inch index every time.

in reality we arun 23.75 inch start homing and use the sensor to stop the motion.

at the 24inch the drive will stop and allow the machine to process the shelf.

tolerance 1/8 ich.