Controllogix gateway setup

controlled

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am setting up a control logix gateway so I can monitor 2 DH+ machines.

My set up is a 4 slot contol logix rack, power supply, an ENBT card, and a DHRIO card.

On the DHRIO card, i have each channels set for DH+ 57k baud,

When i open rs linx, i configure the AB_EthIP driver. While browsing the network tree, i can see, the IP address, then Backplane 1756-A4/A, then the ethernet card, and the DHRIO card, but I cannot see the machines.

Other than installing the cards in the rack, wiring the dh+ cable, and configuring the driver, is there anything else that needs to be set up in order to see the dh+ machines on the network?

I am setting up a control logix gateway so I can monitor 2 DH+ machines.

My set up is a 4 slot contol logix rack, power supply, an ENBT card, and a DHRIO card.

On the DHRIO card, i have each channels set for DH+ 57k baud,

When i open rs linx, i configure the AB_EthIP driver. While browsing the network tree, i can see, the IP address, then Backplane 1756-A4/A, then the ethernet card, and the DHRIO card, but I cannot see the machines.

Other than installing the cards in the rack, wiring the dh+ cable, and configuring the driver, is there anything else that needs to be set up in order to see the dh+ machines on the network?

Did you set the Rotory Dip Switches on the DHRIO Board? You also need unique Link IDs on each Channel. I think you have to use RSLinx for that. Ken Roach is probably the one to help you out. I have the parts here for a Logix Gateway, but have not had time to install them and set it up. Here is the link to the AB Logix Gateway Manual.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1756-um513_-en-p.pdf

Stu....

Also, be sure you have the correct termination resistors in the right spots. Unlike the PLC-5, the 1756-DHRIO won't tolerate incorrect termination.

Thanks all

I have the rotary dip switches, both channel a and b set to DH+ 57 baud, i have channel A set to address 6, and channel B set to address 7.

I plugged by pcmk card into the round connect Channel A on the DHRIO card and set the routing table to the same channel addresses (6 and 7)

On the DHRIO card, the CH a and b status leds are lit solid, and the ok led is flashing.

IN rslinx, when i highlight the DHRIO card, it shows the status as being "unkeyed", not sure what that means.

I have the terminating resistor terminated at the card, and the plc.

Im plugging into the ENBT card with a straightthru cable directly from my laptop. Does it matter if its staright thru or crossover?

Last edited:
Thanks all
Im plugging into the ENBT card with a straightthru cable directly from my laptop. Does it matter if its staright thru or crossover?

If you are going direct from your Laptop, you will need a Crossover Cable. If you want to use a standard Straight Through Cable, you will need a Switch or a Hub.

Stu....

If you are going direct from your Laptop, you will need a Crossover Cable. If you want to use a standard Straight Through Cable, you will need a Switch or a Hub.

Stu....

The ENBT is autosensing - and you can use a standard cable direct from your laptop.

The ENBT is autosensing - and you can use a standard cable direct from your laptop.

Daba:

Thank you for correcting me. That is a nice feature! Have they always done that, or is it something AB added to the later revisions? I seem to recall I had to make up a Crossover Cable the first ENBT I set up.

Stu....

Can you post a screenshot of the browse itself ?

The original description is consistent with a missing EDS file for the 1756-DHRIO.

The easy test is to download an EDS file for the version of 1756-DHRIO you have, then register it using the RSLinx EDS Hardware Installation Tool. Restart RSLinx and rebrowse (sometimes you have to reboot too).