blue clock

Before making your task continuous and committing to it you might want to compare the two versions using the task monitor. The continuous task is the lowest priority task and it gets interrupted frequently. You may actually get better performance by making the main task periodic.

I saw a demonstration by a Rockwell instructor once where the continuous task on the demo was taking about 12mS to scan. He changed it to a periodic task and the task monitor showed that the task was now completing in about 2 milliseconds. When it was a continuous task about 10 mS of the scan time came from the processor doing other things. Then the instructor changed the task rate to 5mS. So now the PLC was completing twice as many scans as before but the CPU still had plenty of time to handle everything else with extra time left over.

The continuous task has its place, but remember that it is a legacy that you might not always want to be stuck with.