Blue Arrows

Hovering the mouse over the arrow yields a tool-tip 'Editing changes the tag value'.

In other words, it indicates that if you change the value displayed you will be changing the value of a tag (that may be used elsewhere).

Those indicate a field that is changing/changeable. For the MSG I see it on the Timed Out bit which allows you to force a timeout on the MSG. For the Data/Time the options with blue arrows are all selections where you can change the date/time.

You also see it everywhere in ladder logic. This MOV below shows that the Destination is a changeable field. Click on the value and type in a new value. Whereas the Source cannot be changed without editing the logic. The blue arrows let me know this.

OG

MOV.png

Last edited:
But you can change a lot of things, why are just some blessed with the arrow?

Bonus Oddity: In a MSG configured for a PLC5 Typed Read you get the blue arrow on a greyed out dialog box for cached connection. and its not changeable. "Large connection" should be a changeable value but does not warrant a blue arrow.

I don't get a tooltip when hovering over these arrows.

But you can change a lot of things, why are just some blessed with the arrow?

Bonus Oddity: In a MSG configured for a PLC5 Typed Read you get the blue arrow on a greyed out dialog box for cached connection. and its not changeable. "Large connection" should be a changeable value but does not warrant a blue arrow.

I don't get a tooltip when hovering over these arrows.

This is my interpretation... The items with blue arrows are tied to tags or directly impact the controller memory (like the date/time). The Cache connection is tied to a status tag (.EN_CC). The other options you mentioned are not tags. They are functions of the instruction itself.

The Large Connection is only for CIP Generic messages when Connected is selected.

OG

EDIT: As for seeing the tooltips, I see them when I hover over them in the logic. I don't see them in the pop-up configuration windows.

Last edited:
OK. I follow.

Have you ever found that arrow to be of any benefit that would be worthy of the developers at rockwell going through the effort to create it? I mean with the list of things they could improve, why did that choose that?

If I'm in a hurry it might save me a couple seconds on occasion trying to change a hardcoded value without online editing. I can't say I feel it was a particularly worthwhile use of the developers' time though.

It's not exactly a new feature. It's been there since day 1. RSLogix 5/500 had this too. Only it was a "<" symbol there. Only there, they showed you the symbol even for constants. So if you tried to change those they would just revert back to the constant.

OG

SLC MOV.png

Last edited: