Read/Write Drive Parameters over CNET via CLX

Phrog30

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I did a brief search and didn't see what I was looking for. I have a customer that would like the ability to upload ALL drive parameters (or at least the most important ones) and store in the CLX, and then if the need arises to replace the drive to then download the stored parameters in the CLX back to the drive. The drives will be PF70, CLX is L61 (or larger), they want to do all of this from the HMI (PV+ over ethernet), comms is CNET. I will most likely use v18, possibly 19. I know I can add the drives in the my project tree, but I am limited to a certain amount of datalinks... correct?

So, the question(s), is this possible? Has anyone done it before with success? If so, what is the easiest route?

Thanks in advance for your help.

James

Can they be convinced to use DeviceNet? Scanners can hold the device configuration. It's relatively easy there. ControlNet or Ethernet/IP it has to be stored in the controller and that will take logic and CPU memory to accomplish.

OG

No, the customer always knows what is best... right?

I would just like to know if it's possible. Logic, memory, etc, is not any concern to me. Memory is cheap, and writing code is easy... what I am unsure of is if the hardware is capable.

I've done it over DeviceNet using MSG's, I think you should be able to do the same over ControlNet. Check the back of the manual for the 20-COMM-C, it should have info on the CIP msg to get what you want. I can post the code on Monday if you like, I have all of the parameter descriptions in a string table to display on the PV also.

Have they ever used the Copy function that is built into the keypad on the drive? This works well and is simple.

Darren

Using ControlNet or EtherNet/IP with ControlLogix and RA AC drives gets you not just DataLinks but also the features of Premier Integration; the drive monitor and parameter editor (DriveTools) is embedded in RSLogix 5000 and the non-default parameters for the drive are stored in the ControlLogix.

Ever since Premier Integration was introduced in v16, you've had the ability to use those stored parameters to restore a drive's parameter set; the embedded DriveTools mechanism read them out of the controller, sent a reset-to-defaults command to the drive, and wrote the non-default values into the drive.

As far as I know, you still need to use the embedded DriveTools in RSLogix 5000 to perform that function. There's no "Controller-based auto-device-replacement" feature, so you can't trigger this function via a PanelView Plus or other HMI.

In practice, the problem I run into is that drive failures are few and far between, and the replacements aren't on the shelf but rather are purchased in a hurry, so they're different firmware revisions or different sizes or even different models. You can't just shotgun parameters into a different drive, so you begin the frantic search for a hardcopy or backup file of the parameter set.

It's certainly possible to build this function manually but I would only endeavor to do so if you have very frequent drive failures and can commit to building and maintaining the logic.

A bit of advice about the Parameter Object implemented by PowerFlex drives:

The Parameter Object includes the Number of parameters, and every instance of the Parameter Object includes the current value, the minimum, the maximum, and the default.

You could write a universal routine that read the number of parameters, then went through each one reading the Default and the Current values. When the current value is different from the default, you store that value and parameter number for future restoration.

Thanks for all of the input. I think it is entirely stupid and counter-productive, but the customer insists on this... like I said, they know so much more than anyone else. They really want an "easy button" to fix all of their problems, however, this is just not reality.

Ken, what you mentioned is to me the biggest hurdle, the chances of them replacing the bad drive with at least a similar firmware is just too much to ask.

Thanks again.