Read/write BOOL data between Logix PLCs

Sam_R

Greetings.

I have a 1769-L30ER that runs a new piece of equipment my company bought. I would like to read from and write to some tags on this PLC with a 1756-L82E. I can use a series of MSG instructions to read and write all the REAL and DINT values that I need, but I can't find a good solution for the BOOL data that I need because the MSG instruction doesn't support BOOL data.

Normally I would set up a produce/consume tag structure between two PLCs, but the program on this new equipment is locked and I can't view or edit any existing code.

I thought at first that I would create my own program on this PLC and then pack up all the BOOLs into DINTs for transfer, but most of the BOOLs that I need to see are program-level tags. I can't edit the programs that these tags belong to.

Am I missing an obvious solution, or am I just S.O.L.?

I'm not aware of any way to access program-scoped tags from within another program.

Any chance there's a Red Lion HMI on the machine? If so, and if you can edit its program, it's easy to add gateway blocks to transfer data between PLCs.

Is there a way to copy a program-level tag's value without being able to access the logic in that program?

I'm not aware of any way to access program-scoped tags from within another program.

Any chance there's a Red Lion HMI on the machine? If so, and if you can edit its program, it's easy to add gateway blocks to transfer data between PLCs.

Public parameter.

Whether intentional or not, a Program-scoped BOOL tag that is in a program you cannot edit is fairly immune to PLC-initiated messaging (onboard or in ar emote PLC) and program logic.

I agree that an HMI or other software that has access to those Program-scope tags might be the best thing to act as a data broker.

If your OEM set up the Program-scope logic to be inaccessible on purpose, they might have also disallowed external access.