Read & write BOOL data via Modbus TCP between two Mico850 controllers

ahaanwar2

Dear all, glad to be here and I hope that we all can benefit from this great community.

I am trying to send and receive data between two Mico850 controllers, however my data types are different (Real, INT, and BOOL). Should I create more than Msg_modbus2, each for each type of data or one read and another write Msg_modbus2 are enough.

Moreover, the data carried in the msg_modbus2 are in WORD format, I can convert INT to WORD using the Convert function (any to word) and (any to int) directly, but how about converting the REAL and BOOL data types?

I can do without REAL as INT can be enough, but how to deal with BOOL data. Should I use some sort of arrays or what?

Please help me as I am frustrated.

Best,
Anwar

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

You are correct that you should use arrays by "packing" the BOOL tags into bits of a WORD type tag, and sending one or more 16-bit WORDs of data using Modbus/TCP.

Your logic on the receiving side should then "unpack" that data into the desired BOOL tags.

Thanks a lot for your response, could you please give me an example how to pack and unpack the booleans into word. What function to be used, and how to use it?

No function necessary: look up bit addressing modes in the help file.

Micro850 source: pack bits B3:0/0 and B3:1/0 into N7:0; send N7:0

Code:
   B3:0/0     N7:0/0
----] [---------( )-------

B3:1/0     N7:0/1
----] [---------( )-------

(send word N7:0 data via Modbus)
Micro850 destination: receive N7:1; unpack bits into B3:2/0 and B3:2:1:

Code:
(receive data into word N7:1 via Modbus)

N7:1/0     B3:2/0
-----] [---------( )-----

N7:1/1     B3:2/1
-----] [---------( )-----
You may even be able to send words B3:0 and receive into B3:2.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help.

Do I need to use two MSG_Modbus2 functions for read and two for write?
Because I am reading and writing INT and BOOL variables. I mean, with the conversion using bit addressing do I need to still use a separate MSG_Modbus2 for Boolean variables?

Regards

Last edited: