HID prox card reader to Panelview Plus

cfleitman

I have been tasked to add a HID proximity card reader to an existing Panelview Plus 1000 touch screen for security access reasons. I need advice on what hardware and software is required.

Does anyone have any info on this? I am looking into a solution like this one above as well. Any other suggestions are appreciated, but we use those HID's as ID's for doors etc, so to implement that would be perfect.

Cheers

RFIdeas has a new EtherNet/IP with PoE RF card reader. This reader is specifically designed to integrate with AB PLCs.

Part Number RDR-80581AKB-P

PanelView Plus operating system connectivity with external devices is largely limited to USB storage, USB printers, and USB human interface devices like mice and keyboards.

If the proximity card reader has a USB port and behaves like a keyboard, then you'll be able to use it with objects that would otherwise take keyboard input.

But as far as I know there's no "integration" between the FactoryTalk View security system and any sort of hardware security or authentication device. FactoryTalk View Security relies on ordinary typed-in Usernames and Passwords.

Well,
I want to use the RFID-Cards to unlock some menus in a few PanelView 1000 Plus, and
I guess USB would do it's job too.

Ethernet would make me able to integrate a few more things than just unlocking the PV.

Sure, I could use PINs or something, unfortunately people give those out because of laziness which I am trying to avoid with RFID. Cards can be borrowed as well, but then I can keep track of it.

Anyways, I will have a look on those options.

I think you maybe missing Ken's point.

Unless the device acts like a keyboard in the way it sends data to the Panel View then you will not be able to connect it.

In other words:

Your RFID tag reader needs to connect to the PLC and thru code on the PLC unlock screens on the HMI.

The Panel Views are designed to use keyboards for data entry but are not really designed to read a data string from a card reader or any other device other than your PLC.

Look at the PLC you have connected to the Panel View and see what comm ports you have open and this will set what Card Reader you use. The card reader mentioned uses Ethernet I/P to talk to an AB PLC. If your PLC has that available then your ready to go, if not... well back to the drawing board.

I missed a half point :D
We are using AB's 5561, so we have the whole 9 yards.

The half point I am missing is, we have to go through the PLC, and can't go through the PV directly, right?

Since the PV's are connected via Ethernet, a switch and one of those fancy Ethernet-RFID Readers and we're golden. That's how I see it. But I am very optimistic :D

Again, thank you all. I will be back ;)

From their website http://rfideas.com/products/pcprox_plus_readers/pcproxplus/index.php
"As a card and badge enroller or reader, it emulates a keyboard to keystroke the card’s data to the cursor’s location in an application. The reader can be configured to add keystrokes and commands before or after the card’s data."

It sounds like you could probably tie it directly to the Panelview Plus if you wanted to. I have only used serial versions so far, so I cannot verify.

Hello all!
I'm also investigating logging in to the PanelView Plus with a PC Prix reader from RFIDeas.
So far, I see three methods to implement security/screen control. The added feature of the mentioned reader is the ability to add pre-data and post-data key strokes.
1.) Configure the application with user name(s) without password. Assign the login button to the F1 key. Program the reader to precede the data with the F1 and the F2 keys. These ensure the login field is displayed ready to accept.the data. Then program the reader to follow with two ENTER key strokes to close the username input field and then the login field. If the inputted card data matches the username, you are logged in.
2.) Program a string input as in option 1 above but now you'll only need one pre-data key stroke (such as F1 to open the string input box) and one post-data ENTER key stroke to close the string input box. Have the inputted data linked to a tag (string type) in the PLC and via logic drive your own security for the HMI application. (What I'm doing since my customers are starting to demand the ability of who is logging in).
Options 1 and 2 use the USB reader connected to the PanelView Plus.
3.) The same as option 2, but using the Ethernet (power-over-Ethernet or PoE) reader to directly send the card data to the PLC to be evaluated.