Machines, Control Panels, rules, regulations, CE, UL

BryanG

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Machines, Control Panels, rules, regulations, CE, UL
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I have been building control panels for years and so I should have a perfect and fully comprehensive knowledge of everything mentioned in the above. But I am not perfect, I don't know everything, and from reading back through posts from others I can see that I am not alone. In the EU the whole subject seems to be treated as somewhat of a 'black art', spoken of in hushed whispers, complained about, and as always, there are plenty of people out there who claim to understand more than you do and are willing to explain it all to you....... if you pay them enough money.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I know that this is a PLC Forum and so I don't know that this is the right place to do it but I wondered if we could start to assemble wisdom on the subject here. Or can anyone recommend a 'correct' forum.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]If Phil is happy for this continue then let me start the ball rolling:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]In the old Europe of individual countries we used to have separate standards in each country. When the EU was formed they quite sensibly decided that we needed common rules across the community, so that machines designed and built in one country could easily be sold in another. And so EU standards were devised and a mark to show that a system met those rules was created, the CE mark. All machines and control panels sold within the EU must have a CE mark. To back up that CE mark there must be a 'technical file' that explains how/why the machine meets the rules that allow it to be CE marked.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]For a machine or control panel to have a CE mark it must be designed and manufactured to meet various 'Directives' issued by the governing bodies within the EU. Here is a list of the Directives:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/poli...onised-standards-legislation/list-references/[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The list will never be complete and is constantly updated as practices and technologies change. If that list has been moved then Google for “List of references of harmonised standards”. The Directives are free to download.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]You have to go through the list and decide which directives will apply to your machine/product.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The 'Directives' that will generally affect panel builders and PLC programmers are:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The Low Voltage Directive[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The EMC Directive[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]and if you build complete machines, The Machinery Directive[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]There are various methods that you could use to show a Panel/Machine complies with the Directives but probably the simplest is to make the Panel/Machine to the Standards. If you click on the 'Low Voltage' directive on the website above it takes you here:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/poli...tion/list-references/low-voltage/index_en.htm[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]It gives a list of Standards that are used to meet the Directive, it is a very long list but don't panic. A lot of the Standards cover complete items that you will put in to a panel, so as long as you use a PLC that is built to the Standards and is CE marked you don't have to have read or understand the Standards used for that PLC. The list will never be complete and is constantly updated as practices and technologies change. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The Standards that we as PLC/Control Panel people generally need to know about are:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]EN 60204-1:2006 Safety of machinery - Electrical equipment of machines -- Part 1:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]EN 60439-1:1999 Low-voltage switchgear and controlgear assemblies[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Actually EN 60439 has been succeeded by EN 61439 but they haven't updated the web page given above.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Not even in the web site is:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]EN 61000-6-1:2007 Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]BS EN 60447:2004 Basic and safety principles for man-machine interface, marking and identification. Actuating principles [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]EN 61293:1995, Marking of electrical equipment with ratings related to electrical supply. Safety requirements [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Where the Directives are free to download, the Standards aren't, I purchase Standards from the BSI (British Standards Institute).[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]That is where I am up to so far, let me know if you think there is mileage in the idea of assembling some free knowledge here.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Bryan[/FONT]

Hi Bryan.

Good idea to start a talk about these things.
I certainly do not know everything. We used to have a guy with the sole job of gathering all information and checking up so that we can sign the declaration of conformity. Now it is up to a quality assurance guy that has got this as a part of his job. I am tasked with making risk assessments for the machines I am involved with.

The biggest problem is that EN13849-1 has to be implemented by dec 31, 2012. It may seem a long time from now, but there are many new things to learn and implement. And this time there will be no reprieve !

As far as i'm aware the EMC directive would only apply to the whole machine, not a control panel supplied as a component as its not complete (ie wired to the machine), although the panel wiring would have to comply with the manufacturers guidelines for emc for it to comply when fully assembled.

So for a panel in the EU/UK then other than special cases (ie ATEX etc) you just need to comply with the LVD (low voltage directive) to CE mark it even if Invertors are within it

Again PUWER as stated is for the Machine

Again as far as i know you dont have to hold a technical file at all, just have xx days to produce it when say the HSE demand it, if you are outside the EU then you have to nominate a body in the EU to hold (or access) the technical file (ie be a point of contact)

And dont forget the safety standards

Soon to be out BS EN 954-1
And available now to supercede the above BS EN ISO 13849-1 or BS EN 62061

I did a pilz safety of machinery course that covered a lot of this last month, was very good and learnt a fair bit

Jesper: I thought it was DEC 2011

You can see what I mean, we are four replys in and we have disagreements about what does and doesn't apply. I will check on the EMC requirements, personally I think that until we have simple tools to allow in house testing that this Directive will see a lot of bodging. On the EMC front, it doesn't just apply to EM emissions but also to EM susceptibility, I will assemble the details for the various web sites that I found.

For information:

BS EN ISO 13849-1:2008 Safety of machinery. Safety-related parts of control systems. General principles for desig

BS EN 62061:2005

Safety of machinery. Functional safety of safety-related electrical, electronic and programmable electronic control systems

Can anybody give a simple overview of what they are and how to use them?

I did find these that relate to
and explain IEC 61439
http://www.schneider-electric.co.uk...es/legislation/iec-61439/iec-61439-guide.page

http://www.schneider-electric.co.uk...ces/legislation/iec-61439/iec-61439-faqs.page

Regarding the technical file I don't think that it causes too much of a problem. I know that you can just forget it and worry about it if you are asked to produce the file but will you still be able to get data sheets for the components you used 9.5 years ago. You probably do most of the stuff required anyway, Electrical Drawings, Layout, Current Calculations, Wire/Cable size selection add the data sheets for components and you are pretty much there. The file doesn't have to contain copies of all the data, it can just point to where you stored copies of the data.

BS EN ISO 13849-1:2008 Safety of machinery. Safety-related parts of control systems. General principles for desig

BS EN 62061:2005
Safety of machinery. Functional safety of safety-related electrical, electronic and programmable electronic control systems

Simple overview ? Hahaha. I could need that as well !
Re EN 13849-1 then it is a new standard for calculating how dangerous some equipment is (required performance level of the safety equipment to make the machine safe)(*), and a new standard for how to verify that the machine is safe(**).
*: Similar to EN945-1, but with some important differences.
**: This is completely new, and means you must calculate the achieved performance level by taking the MTTF of ALL devices and connections into account.

Regarding the technical file I don't think that it causes too much of a problem. I know that you can just forget it and worry about it if you are asked to produce the file but will you still be able to get data sheets for the components you used 9.5 years ago.
Dont take it so lightly ! I was involved in a serious accident (due to someone ignoring all safety procedures), and we were asked on the same day by the police to promptly provide the technical file. Luckily we had done everthing to the book. Also we had documentation that the customer had taken over the equipment.

some of the regs i have to deal with are

NFPA 70 - NATIONAL ELECTRICL CODE
NFPA 79 - ELECTRICAL STANDARD FOR INDUSTRIAL MACHINERY
NFPA 496 - STANDARD FOR PURGING / PRESSURIZED ENCLOSURES
FOR ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT
NFPA 70E - STANDARD FOR ELECTRICAL SAFETY IN THE WORKPLACE
(ARC FLASH)

my oem's have to deal with UL508A - UL LISTED CONTROL
PANEL RULES / REGS IF THE PANELS ARE UL LISTED.

regards,
james

Ul508a

Probably worth mentioning that UL508A does not allow you to self certify like CE. The only way you can legally put a UL certification on a control panel is to have a relationship with UL where they come in and do unannounced inspections to audit your panel shop.

For this you have to pay a yearly fee plus a fee each time you get inspected. The inspection interval depends on how many panels you build. We have 4 inspections per year.

The alternative to this is to have UL certify the panel in which case they will have to set up a project and will charge you a one time fee for that panel. A few US states require UL508A certification on all installed machinery control panels but local requirements vary greatly. In other words, the local building inspector is king in this regard and will have the final say as to whether the panel can be powered or not. The more formal acronym is the AHJ for "Authority Having Jurisdiction."

For information:

Sort of

Get the customer to help / assist (or even do) the risk assessment of the entire machine / process

Use decent software like Pilz or Sistema (i prefer pilz even though i like siemens, sistema takes a lot to be desired). If you use predominantly Pilz products then its pretty easy from their software as all their products with all MTTF data etc is in their built in libraries

And if your used to 954-1 then go on a course (pilz run them also) for 13849 and 62061, ok you can read the relevant standard but going on a course and chatting round a table with other engineers for 4 days, getting lots of information and doing some tests is much better in my opinion.

Last edited: