RFID HMI Access Control for Rockwell OEM Machines on the Plant Floor

id10t_error

Lifetime Supporting Member
Can anyone share the hardware/software in integrating Radio-frequency identification (RFID) security on a plant floor's OEM machine HMI's?

I listed below different methods and found all sorts of fun caveats like access levels of what people can do in each group, Reporting, expandability, locality, and expensive standardization of OEM equipment.

0.)RFID-Standalone-Keyswitch:
Parallel a Momentary Spring-off key-switch with an access control device's dry contacts to a PLC input. The vendor's web interface provides the addition and removal of users. Different access levels require additional physical IO. Each local access database could turn into a mess of active lost cards and depending on who entered the card... joe1, Joe_2, Joe_smith = same_person.

1.) RFID-Standalone-HMI:
Example with the RF IDeas Card Reader. Scanning in users is simple, but again the user database will turn into a mess.

2.) RFID-Standalone-PLC:
Example with Pepperl+Fuchs or Rockwell's RFID Reader 56RF-IN-IPS12. Scanning in users is simple, but again the user database will turn into a mess.

3.) RFID-Networked-PLC:
Add/Remove users from a Central HMI/SCADA/PLC sharing a Produce/Consume access control database to verify users across all OEM manufacturing equipment. The user database is simplified.

4.) RFID-Enterprize:
Integrating a plant's current access control system to the plant floor is Vendor-Specific, and is this even a good idea to have HR setting machine access.

Last edited:
When customers request this ability, we use:

KT-805W1AKB-P-IP67

We had so much trouble with losing FTVS security accounts in the earlier versions of ME that we rolled out own "security" in the PLC, which made using these readers easy for us.

Which RFIdeas card reader model would you use with an SLC or Micrologix? I'm thinking I can only use an Ascii Serial model?