160 SSC and setting up ADR

sportster

I have two 160 VFD's on two seperate networks that are having the same issue. We had to make a parameter change to the VFD from Ramp to Stop to Coast to Stop. Made the change in the VFD and then changed the ADR too. Powered down the VFD and back up (to check that the ADR took) and then the scanner comes up with a code 89 for that same vfd. Turns out that when the parameters for the 160 VFd are updated, it changes the data byte size in the ADR from 962 to 980. I'm guessing that is the reason for the code 89 since the ADR worked fine before making the single parameter change.

Anyone have any thoughts on this one.... I've checked the AB side for the last two hours and I'm starting to go buggy....

Wierd. I wonder why the size of the parameter set in the ADR memory changed.

Error 89 is an ADR failure, where the Scanner tried to perform an ADR download and couldn't.

The usual reason is that the ADR entry was done for a different firmware revision or a different device. It can also happen when the target is in a mode where it won't accept a download (like a locked E3 overload).

What are the firmware revisions for the 160SSC's and the DeviceNet scanner ? What revision of RSNetworx for DeviceNet are you using ?

1756-DNB Firmware 10.0005
160 SSC Revision 7.006
RSNetworx Revision 10.00.00 (CPR 9 SR 2)

My partner on dayshift was able to get one of the VFD's/Scanners to take the ADR setup after he blew everything in the scanner away (scanlist, mapping, ADR, etc.) and then re-loaded it from scratch. I'm going to try that in an hour or two on the other VFD/Scanner to see if it works on that one. It just seems kind of weird.

Had same issue same solution w/1746-SDN ADR when both nodes were lost due to a bus off fault, caused by a bad physical connection. ADR isn't reliable when multiple (or all?) nodes go AWOL in my experience.

On a brand new offline file, the ADR data size of a 160-SSC with v7 firmware is 980 bytes (according to the RSNetworx v10 calculation).

I wonder where the 962 byte size came from ?

I could probably work this out with a protocol analyzer and a workbench.

Have you reported this to RA Tech Support ?

The date on the file that I started with was from 2009, so I'm sure that it was created with a different version (probably 8 because I think that we skipped 9 when corporate didn't renew our techconnect contract). So the 962 might be the size from the last version of software. I tried blowing away all of the ADR settings during the last production break and then reloading all the ADR settings, but that didn't seem to do it (now none of the ADR settings for the VFD's on that network work). I'll see if I get enough time to set the scanner back to default and start from scratch this next break time. I just love it when I have to try to fix network/program problems 15 minutes at a time!

No dice on blowing the scanner away and starting from scratch. Looks like I'll be contacting Tech Support...

Just an update..
After several calls to AB Tech Support, their reponse ended up being that a 160 VFD my or may not work with ADR and I was basically on my own to get it working now. Not the answer I expected, but I wasn't suprised either. So I dug out an older copy of RSNetworx (ver 8) and now it works. I found ver 9 too, but that one doesn't work. I am still suspecting the change in data size for the ADR. In ver 8 which worked the data size is 962. In ver 9&10 which don't work the data size is 980. The drive is not expecting that data size so then the ADR fails and a fault code of 89 results. Nobody from Tech Support would confirm this afterward though and said that the data size didn't matter. I guess all I care is that it works and I don't have to train all the Bubbas here how to change VFD parameters.

Hopfully this helps someone else too.