Red Lion G306K connection

rmb550

I have a Red Lion G306K000 HMI and want to start programming it by using my HP laptop that has Ethernet & USB ports. Can someone give me a pinout for either of those with a recommendation on which is the best way to do that? I can make a cable here in my shop as we have technicians here who make that kind of thing all the time.
Thanks in advance.
rmb550

You do not need to make a cable. To program any G3 a standard USB Cable will work. If you have a newer printer that is USB the cable it uses will work. If not your local electronics store should have 1 for around 10 bucks.

rmb550, The Kadet units don't have a USB port, so you will have to program the unit via a serial connection. You can use a USB to Serial converter if your PC doesn't have a serial port. The connections would be like this

Kadet PC
2 8
3 7
5 5

Thanks
Jeremy

Opps...didn't realize that it was a Kadet. If you do not have a serial to USB converter I highly recomend the Keyspan brand converter. I know it works with the Kadet HMI's.

You only need the serial cable once. Enable the ethernet port and give it an IP address, then you can communicate over ethernet.

A related question...Jeremy, why don't the G3s come with the ethernet port enabled and set to some kind of default address so you don't need to make a serial or usb connection the first time?

Currently the lack of IP address is to avoid conflicting IP addresses on a network. I will pass along your suggestion.

Thanks
Jeremy

I have a G306K000 here and cannot communicate, have serial comms etc. but on power up the device says "INVALID DATABASE" and IP address not configured etc.
Do the dipswitches have to be set any way for initial programming.