which is better

carson

I am using an slc 5 processor is it advisable to leave it on all night or could it be turn off every night

Leave it on 24/7/365 unless you need to power off for a maintenance/plant shutdown situation.

Up to you

This all depends on what you are doing with it.

If this is just for testing and playing then if you want to turn it off then you can. You can lose data that is important to you so you have to consider what the payoff is.

If you save the program before turning off then you can download the data again the next day.

Either way is fine and again, it all depends on what you are doing with it.

I don't know about shorting the life of the processor. I have a few customers that have 5/05 running since 2005. The only time I know they have been powered down what during an ice storm and the ups couldn't keep them running.

Almost all electronics and electrical devices, the most stress usually occurs on power up. Ever notice how a bulb always flashes and burns out when you turn it on?

I recall way back in electronics college in the '70s about some light bulb in some lab 'somewhere' that has been illiminated since the '40s or '50s. Key was this bulb only saw on/off transitions during power failures and was always kept on.

Almost all electronics and electrical devices, the most stress usually occurs on power up. Ever notice how a bulb always flashes and burns out when you turn it on?

I recall way back in electronics college in the '70s about some light bulb in some lab 'somewhere' that has been illiminated since the '40s or '50s. Key was this bulb only saw on/off transitions during power failures and was always kept on.

There is a bulb in Livermore California tha has been on since the early 1900's.

Edit: http://www.centennialbulb.org/

Last edited: