DH-485 Instability

wilheldp

I am using a SLC 5/03 and I'm communicating with it through DH-485 with a PIC module. When in online mode, I get kicked offline anywhere from once a minute to 1 every 10 minutes. Also, when I make offline changes and try to download the new program, the processor faults out about every 3rd time.

Has anyone had similar problems? If so, is there anything that can be done to fix it?

TIA,
Dan

I think that problems with the PIC is one of the most frequent topics on this forum.

It seems that rate of the problems are increasing when using newer versions of Windows. Be sure to have the lastest version of RSLinx.

Do your own search with the terms "PIC" and "DH485", and you should get enough hits to keep yourself busy for quite some time.

edit: If you cannot resolve the problems with the PIC, then connect to the SLC5/03 via the serial port with DF1 protocol. You just need a 9-pin/9-pin nullmodem cable (pin 2 to 3, 3 to 2, 5 to 5).

Last edited:
To follow up on what Jesper said - the PIC is awful. I had exactly the same behavior that you described, and used that to justify upgrading to a PCMK/B card. The PC card is pricy, but in my opinion worth every penny due to its reliability.

Marc