InView PassThru RIO to PLC5

Peter Laing

Hey Guys,

I'm having no luck getting the Inview Industrial Network communications working via RSLinx through an 5/40E to an InView on the RIO network and wonder if anybody might have some hints for me.

The 5/40 can see the InView RIO adapter on the RIO Network and Auto Configs to rack 11. The green network LEDs show green on both the PLC5 and the InView RIO card.

I've programmed a BTR/BTW pair in the PLC5, mapped to rack 11. The BTR shows an error and has returned a 'DLEN' of -9. The BTW shows no errors. When I 'Configure Communications' through the InView Software I set up the BTR/BTW address for PassThru, Save to Module, and drill down to the 5/40E. The 'Download task shows 'Identifying Operator Terminal' then times out.

I've searched the Inview software disk for examples with no luck.

See attached files.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

InviewDownloadProgress.png InviewRIOTagSetup.png InViewRIOCommSetup.png PLC5BlockXfer.jpg RIOConfig.png

Thanks for posting so much information !

There are two Knowledgebase documents I found, both TechConnect scope, which might help:

RA Knowledgebase AID #27700 Remote I/O examples for PLC-5 Processor and InView

RA Knowledgebase AID #28407 Message or RIO Comms Download via Pass-Through

The "-9" error code for the Block Transfer Read is an ordinary Timeout. In my recollection, the InView interface is principally a one-way block transfer with one for Message data and one for Variable data. These are the 64-word and 62-word BTWs you see in the user manual. I don't see a role for a Block Transfer Read, and there isn't one in the example application.

Why are you using 3/4 Rack size ? I think I would use 1/4 Rack because that just lets the block transfers run, without using up RIO discrete memory.

You can download two different configuration files via this module; the RIO configuration of the Comms module itself, and the Message file from the InView project. You have to download the Communication configuration first and allow the module to reboot.

Hi Ken,

I appreciate for the quick reply and thanks for the help!

I don't have a TechConnect subscription but I suspect that my client does. I'll give him a call.

My attempts at the Block Transfers were 'shots in the dark', I just assumed that a read would be required.

Cheers,

Pete