Weintek Weinview Data String Display

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I have a customer that sent me the email below, I have been trying to find an answers in the manuals but cant find much to help

I want to input a string on the Weintek HMI to identify a process by
part number(my string) and save this data on the PLC. Later when a
process is using this part I want to send this string data to the HMI
for display. The only input/output object I have found is the ASCII
object. When I select a variable which I set up in CCW as STRING and
exported/imported to the EASYBuilderPro it shows it as a CHAR data type
and allows only one word of data to be selected in address Settings in
number of elements. If I select a variable which I set up as an array
of STRINGs EBPro shows it as an array of CHAR and allows me to set up
the number of elements equal to my array size. Is this the way to get
an ASCII input by setting up an array of characters for each string?

He is using a Micro850 for the PLC and the part number he wants to display has numbers and letters, I did not ask how many characters

Thanks for the help if you can
Mark

These Weintek screens have a fair bit of memory in them. If the part number is the same every time the strings could be stored in a reference table on the HMI and transfered back and forth from the PLC as a number instead.

Basically on the AB side you'd need to create an array for the "String" and on the HMI side your customer would need to create a ASCII input box, write it into memory. The input box could then trigger a macro to move the part into the PLC along the lines of the code below.

macro_command main()
char recchar[60]="" //clear array

GetData(recchar[0], "Local HMI", LW, 0, 10)// moves 10 chars from memory LW 0 to reechar[0] which is 60 characters long
SetData(recchar[0], "Allen-Bradley EIP", "LOG_FILE[0]", 10)//Saves the data in the PLC in memory location LOG_FILE
//Log file would specify the first spot in the string which you would want to write to

end macro_command

Your customer depending on the number of parts could use a drop down combo box to select the part which would be stored as a number and sent to the PLC (easier to handle and takes less space) and then turned back into text on the HMI when the part was selected.

Hey,

I had the same issue. all I did was counting the chars coming in on the data and then cop to the wanted len.
here’s how you can do it in the plc:

var
i:int;
myString: ARRAY[0..255] OF INT;
charCount: INT := 0;
END_VAR

FOR i := 0 TO 255 DO
IF myString = 0 THEN
charCount := i;
EXIT;
END_IF
END_FOR

(* charCount now contains the length of the "string" *)

then just cop the len that you are not getting.

hope this helps.