Looking for ideas please

mrtweaver

Items that I have SQL 2005. Serial output bar code scanner. SQL database with proceedure written that will take a value when entered and compare to data base and return value based on true if found, false is not found.

I can attach the bar code reader to a PLC and then take that PLC and read the values using a product like KepServer, then the value is taken into Factory SQL by Inductive Automation and it then runs the routine for verification purposes. This way works out well.

However like all of mgmt today they want to lean the cost down. So I am trying to find a way to eliminate the PLC. I am just not sure how to pull the information from the serial output of the barcode reader and have KepServer read it.

Any ideas, thoughts or such are welcome.

Thanks and have a great day.

As far as hardware, you still need a device that can act as a gateway between serial and ethernet.

Digi?
Red Lion G3?
Cheap PC running a direct driver and Ignition?

I am sure there are more.

I can't help with the Kepware side.

This should be easy with an ethernet capably barcode reader, is that an option?

What PLC are you using? I can walk you through most of this using Visual Basic if you're interested in that solution. The cost is free if there is a driver for your PLC. If not, you can still use a commercial driver. The hardest part would be the database interface.

Serial Port?

Do you have a serial port on your PC?

If you do then it is a matter of writing code in say visual basic to manipulate the data. Very very simple and straight forward. It actually is a very clean and fast process once it is in place. I have done this on several projects and its nice to eliminate the PLC for the data processing.

If you do then it is a matter of writing code in say visual basic to manipulate the data. Very very simple and straight forward. It actually is a very clean and fast process once it is in place. I have done this on several projects and its nice to eliminate the PLC for the data processing.
Good point. I don't know what I was thinking, I completely missed the point of avoiding a PLC.

Another option is to use a USB barcode reader that emulates a keyboard and capture it as keystrokes.

Good Point

Good point. I don't know what I was thinking, I completely missed the point of avoiding a PLC.

Another option is to use a USB barcode reader that emulates a keyboard and capture it as keystrokes.

That is true and it allows to use scanner on newer computers as you upgrade. They also have the barcode scanners that "wedge" with the keyboard input.

I just suggested the serial port because I think he already has this type since it was used with a PLC.

I would just use a serial/ethernet device (I use GridConnect's NET232, which costs $100) and go straight to the PC. It's easy enough to write a socket app in Ignition or FPMI (about ten lines of code). I do this all the time with printers and RFID devices, and it works fine.

Sorry for my delay in getting back to this posting things just got a bit hectic with a death in the family and such. Anyway GSCURE I am interested in your approach. Let me say that I know very very little when it comes to programming such as VB, C or any other such languages. Looking back on my college years I should have taken such things but thought they would never really take off. Oh well as they say hind site is 20/20.

But here is what I would like to do, Using some sort of program on a PC read in the data from the card reader, which by the way is a MS146I-2G by unitech. Then have this data sent to either KepServer or directly to Factory SQL. Since someone made the posting that they have writen code in the Inductive Automation program to send the data to MS SQL and execute the stored proceedure. The stored proceedure will then return a series of values but the most important one is the valid command. It is a 1 if the information looked up is in the database or a 0 (zero) if it is not. If the number returned is a 1 then turn some output on. Otherwise do nothing.

Hope this is clear. If not will try to make it more clear in the next posting.

Since someone made the posting that they have writen code in the Inductive Automation program to send the data to MS SQL and execute the stored proceedure.

I meant more than that. You could write the code within FPMI that connected to the bar code reader, manipulate the data, and then write to the database. No need for an external program.

There is a lot of info out there on the Python socket module.

Visual Studio

Do you have Visual Studio?

Basically you need to either write a program in visual studio that will provide a driver to read the serial input and process the information or purchase one.

If you could IM me then we could discuss the options if you dont have visual studio. It is fairly straight forward but there can me a lot to it once you start gathering the data.

Last edited:
Already has card scanner

He already has the card scanner that was being used with serial port of PLC. I agree that usb would be simple as well as the keyboard wedge version.

Since he already has the serial type that is what we are giving advice to.

Assuming you want to stick w/ the hardware you have.

Could get something like this, http://www.perle.com/products/IOLAN-DS-Terminal-Server.shtml
You would configure the serial port in UDP sockets mode and have it push to your computer running FPMI via ethernet/wireless and if memory serves there was a module for FPMI to accept TCP/UDP data from devices like this.(UDP Monitor Plugin - FactorySQL is the one.
Ignition also has a OPC-UA TCP/UDP driver to do the same.

Since the barcode reader output can be configured as a delimited string i'd imagine that would work.

You'd be able to eliminate the PLC and the Kepware license. You'd have to buy the perle module(~$200 i think). Should be a net cost reduction though.

Martin - I'm not sure what kind of barcode reader you have. I've seen an FSQL plugin that takes UDP packets (from a barcode reader) then runs a query against a database. That makes sense to run on your database machine since you'll need that by definition.

I'm not sure if the plugin exists for Ignition. I'd ask on the IA forums.

Is that all you're using the PLC for? How many such setups are you running/planning on running?