How to program slc 504 WITHOUT using RS232

vha23

Hi, I have a slc 504 processor that i'm trying to make changes to. The problem is that the RS232 port is being used by a barcode scanner as an input port. since all we use are 505's, I dont have any cables to program the 504 using DH+ or the 8 pin "program terminal". I was told that I could get a cable and PCMK card that would allow me access using the "program terminal" but it would cost around $1400. I bought the cable alone for around $200. I was wondering if there is an alternative to using the Allen Bradley pcmcia card. Since this is a one time event, I would prefer not having to spend a thousand dollars just for a few changes. So if anyone has any ideas or knows of generic pcmcia cards that would connect to the 1784-PCM6 cable, i'd appreciate it.

-by "program terminal" i mean the 8 pin round connection that is labeled prog. term. on the 504.

Make the changes when the machine is down--or at least when you could ditch the scanner--then use the serial port to program.

But if the ch0 is using a scanner, I'll bet it's configured for ascii--which means you're screwed--so maybe somebody will borrow you a comms card for your pc??

Do you have a copy of the program on your computer.

If you do. Check to see if the mode change has been enabled under the general channel config. tab.

If so you can use hyperterminal to change the port between system and user mode. Thus allowing you to go online with the processor. The only problem is it won't do you any good if you are trying to trouble shoot something to do with the scanner.

Tim

How do you change the port config of a 5/04 using hyperterminal?
Never thought about it or needed to but you never know what the future brings!!!

Thanks
Drewcrew6

You can only do it if the option is enabled in the processor.

Once the option is enabled. You can send the specified ASCII strings. Which are the next 2 boxes below the mode change option. The RS 232 port is constantly searching for these strings and if recognized will change the ports configuration between system and user modes.

Tim

Short of someone loaning you a card maybe grab a cheap card on eBay. I just looked there and see a PCMK seris A processor and cable for $200 US. A series A should be more than enough to talk to your 5/04. The difference between a series A and series B is the supported baud rates. Series A supports 57.6Kb while the Series B also supports 230.4Kb. Unfortunately, the cable you bought is probably a series B so it would only work with a series B card. But I see lots of series A cards and cables on eBay.

OG

Is this the only SLC-5/04 in this system ? If there's another SLC on the DH+ that does have an available RS232 port, you can use DF1/DH+ passthrough to get onto the DH+ network and over to this SLC.

Since this is just a one-time project, I'd strongly recommend renting a 1784-PCMK from your local A-B sales office or distributor. No sense buying something that is just going to gather dust the rest of the time.

Since this is just a one-time project, I'd strongly recommend renting a 1784-PCMK from your local A-B sales office or distributor. No sense buying something that is just going to gather dust the rest of the time.

Amen to that, I bought it and ALL the cables, they are quietly sitting in my travel case gathering lots of dust.

Maybe its too late now, but...

Why do you have one SLC5/04 and all the others are SLC5/05's ?
Did you need the DH+ capability, or was it to save a little money ?

It would be sensible to standardize on one type of CPU.
If an SLC5/05 is a bit pricey for your application, then you could also have considered an SLC5/03 (about ½ price of an SLC5/04).

But of course, it may be too late to change now :(

It might be cheaper to buy a 5/03 processor and replace the 5/04, if you end up having to buy a pcmk. I would press your vendor to rent a pcmk.

Another option- If you have another project coming soon, buy a 5/05 and temporarily replace the 5/04 to set up the project. Then replace and reload the program into the 5/04 via the serial port. (It would take some work)

sorry i didn't clarify. In all of our new jobs, we use 505's. This one job is a modification for a customer who had the 504 installed by another company, ( which is now bankrupt). I already ordered the cable, but i'll check on ebay and see if i can get the whole package for cheap. thanks for the help guys.