Just curious.....

afoley

Nothing serious, just wondering how many of us use a PLC (or PLCs) to control items in our homes...
And how elaborate are some of these systems...

Anyone want to tell us what your home uses are?

Maybe I'm an unusal case, but I really do enjoy it that much.
Right now my 5/04 is controlling my gas fireplace and of course the Christmas tree lights....

I've been after an AB PLC to control my chrismass light this year but not had any luck on ebay (always out bid) but when i get hold of one then yes I'll be using it at home..

Jezz :D

When I was building my home 12 years ago I thought to build smart control system.at that time you didnt have all the smart devices for home. so I ran 10KM(30000 Foot) of wires in my home(2200 Sq foot) for control, my elctrical panel look like one of my machines panel.
I dont have any switches on the walls only push button.
The house divide to 3 circuits Power,Lights,and switching.
I can control on any thing from anywhere.I can add remote control by phone line too.
The only thing I didnt predicted the Ethernet so I didnt prepare infrastructure for that.The wierless solve that too.

The problem is I the only one who can troubleshooting problems there.
The new air-conditions came with smart control,the hot water too.
Do it worth?I dont sure.

If you enjoy to do it, you welcome.
I prefer to spend my enrgey for better thing in my home.(I spend enough)
If you have any smart idea for home control share it with us.

I’m kinda Telemecanique guy, so I have 1 TSX Micro networked with 4 TSX Nano. I only have pushbuttons to control lights and windows.
The windows open automatically in the morning always at same time at working days, later at weekend and holydays. Closing time changes so they always close around sunset. At summer, the windows facing the sun also close to reopen when sun turns.

I use to make the ceiling light to blink to wake me up but my wife didn’t like that, so I have to stop. :(

I live there for a year now, and there still is a lot to work (and fun) to do.

I find two problems with this kind of control.

1. Last weekend I had some friends at home, and they didn’t know exactly how to control the bedroom.

2. I’m the only one who knows how to change anything if needed. My best friend made is house controlled by an Omron PLC. He died this year and his wife calls me from time to time, if there is something that is not working as it should.

João

I have used a Micrologix 1000 for a small haunted house I did this year. I also use one for Christmas lighting. I am currently considering using a PLC and small HMI to install in a custom street rod. The HMI will take the place of all insturmentation.

Bob:We are planning something similar with a low rider truck my son and I are building. Automation Direct did something similar a couple years back in a race car. I got a nice reply from the engineer involved in the project and a little of how it worked. Let me know if you want a copy emailed to you.

tommy23t

Bob, Tommy,
That is something I have considered, Now that my Dad is retired, he builds street rods (his current project is a 1937 Plymouth Sedan, with "suicide" rear doors). I hadnt thought of using an HMI for instrumentation, though....hmmm..
a small PanelView maybe....

I had thought of an HMI with maybe a main page that will have all the insturmentation on it, then maybe a seperate page for a large tach display and MPH/KPH display.
with the plc you could customize your blinker circuit, a circuit for windshield wiper delay. stuff like that.
be sure to show us what you came up with if you decide to do this. Im in the early stage of planning right now.

Bob

I don't use a PLC but I have my home automated with X-10 products. It uses existing wiring in walls of house. I got a starter kit that comes with windows based software, a "all in one" remote control and a few receiver modules. I added modules as needed to basically control the entire house lighting, swimming pool lighting, waterfall pump and sprinkler system.

The X-10 system is inexpensive and pretty reliable. I doubt I spent over $250.00 on the entire system. I have programmed macros to adjust entire home lighting for party, late night, sleep, etc. with the touch of only one button of a the wireless remote control which also controls my home theatre system. It is about the biggest bang for the buck in home automation.

Robert

Will that X10 setup let you access the video camera's from a computer via internet? I checked out thier website and as you state it looks like a really good deal.

thanks,

Bob

Yes you can! I have a customer that has several of the X-10 color web cams around their shop production area. He can check in on jobs in progress from his laptop conected to the internet.

They have all kinds of X-10 stuff. I've seen pond fish feeders, dog bowl fillers driveway sensors and many other neat gadgets. The big thing is they are a non-invasive installation and are cheap. The code is open source so you could even "roll your own" if you had the time and programming exp. I just buy it off the shelf...

PLC Used in home

I'm in the process of building a Siemens S7-224 PLC system for my home in the mountains. It includes an analog module, a TP070 HMI, and internet module. I know what I want the initial program to do but am a slow learner; especially since I'm trying to teach myself through the manuals and this forum. Thanks to you folks, I'm getting there. I intend to monitor doors, temperature in the living space, temperature and humidity in the crawl space, and electric service voltage. The only items that I don't have as yet are the door magnetic reed switches or something, and a small on-line UPS to operate the PLC when (not if) the power goes off. I've used Phoenix Contact for 24vdc power supply and terminals of various types. I used an Agastat voltage monitor (240v) to monitor both phases of the electric service.

If I run up against a wall regarding my programming, I would like to submit my ladder diagram for you folks to look at. Thanks. Regards.