AC Requirement

Narlin

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have 230V coming to a panel for use with a small AC Drive, KBDA-27D. The 230V is composed of a 3-wire system, 2 each 115V and a ground. Can I use 1/2 of that, 115V and the ground, as if it were 115V/Neutral? I have been told that the neutral and ground were tied together at the main and it would be OK, but it doesn't sound kosher (i.e. within code). Could I ask the electrician to run a 4-wire system, 2-hot, a neutral and a ground and then use the hot/neutral? Seems logical but i don't have much experience with code. Problem here is that the PLC panel and the 230V required for the drive must both be on plugs so that the whole skid can be rolled around.

narlin

NO! Neutral and ground are not the same. You cannot use the ground as a current carrying conductor.

What kind of power do you have? Do you have a 240 center tapped transformer (to derive a neutral)? It sounds like you do, but you must be sure. Not all 240 volt (or 230 volt) systems have a neutral conductor.

OK, you confirm what already made sense with respect to safety, but what about using a legitimate neutral that comes with the 230/240V system as a 4-wire? As for the question about center-tap, I will have to ask someone on site but it was my understanding that they intended to supply 2 115V lines to get the 230V.