Deleting Control Logix UDTs

smatt_ace

I'm hoping this should be an easy answer. Can I delete previously created UDTs within AB Control Logix? My customer is using version 15 and I'm removing some equipment from their system. I want to remove the dozens of udts that are associated with that equipment and I'm not having any success. I've removed the logic and all tags, so none of the udts are used (as far as I can tell) within the program. Yet I'm unable to remove them from where they are defined. Any suggestions would appreciated. Thanks,

Welcome to the forum smatt ace.

Do any of the UDTs use other UDTs as part of their definition?

For example, a UDT named CONVEYOR might have another UDT named MOTOR embedded in it.

Once all references to a UDT have been removed you should be able to right click on it and pick delete. If the delete command is grayed out in the right click context menu than you have not removed all references to it.

Last edited:
Just did some testing

Right clicking on a UDT and choosing Monitor Tags detects tags using that UDT type. But it didn't show tags of a composite type UDT which used that UDT as one of its members.

But I created a UDT using a mixture of other types. I could not delete a UDT used within in another UDT even though no actual variables of the base UDT or the composite UDT had been created.

Thanks

Well it took me awhile to find it, but there was one udt that nested a couple other udts (I had originally looked for that, but must have overlooked that one). I just right-clicked every udt (about 50 of them) until I found the one without the 'delete' greyed out. Then it was like a domino effect from there. Thanks for the help...thought I was losing my mind. I guess I just neede a little patience and persistence.

I have an error in smc log file for app server 3.1 which basically is related to incorrect adressing of the PLC tag - reading through HMI.The error is : Unable to add item 'clxEthernet_AOS2.clxEthernetBridge_SSSpri.clxBackPlane_SSSpri.clxProcessor_SSSpri.FS_3903.OverrideConfirm' with access path 'clxProcessor_SSSpri_SSS_CLX'Whats the best way to approachAny Insights?Thanks

I have an error in smc log file for app server 3.1 which basically is related to incorrect adressing of the PLC tag - reading through HMI.The error is : Unable to add item 'clxEthernet_AOS2.clxEthernetBridge_SSSpri.clxBackPlane_SSSpri.clxProcessor_SSSpri.FS_3903.OverrideConfirm' with access path 'clxProcessor_SSSpri_SSS_CLX'Whats the best way to approachAny Insights?Thanks

The best way to get your problem solved is to start a new thread. Give it a subject line like "App Server 3.1 Can't Access ControlLogix Tag". Not everyone with the experience you need will be reading this thread.

And you might find a few more spaces and punctuation in your post will help people to read it comfortably, not having a go, I just found it hard to read.

HTH

go back to "Live PLC Questions and Answers" (Top of the thread), then above the thread list is a bright green button "Start a New Thread"