RSLogix5 I/O Config

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day all. I'am in the process of configuring my I/O's for my PLC5/40. With the "Display Chassis" displayed I right-click on the desired rack/group/slot/connection and enter in my modules. This system has been running for year's, the programmer just neglected to map the I/O's configuration for display purposes. My problem is, when I enter one module, a 1771-IXE (T/C module), I select "AutoPick", it does its thing, then the data for that module is displayed. When I enter a 1771-IFE (Analog Input Module), select "AutoPick", I get no data, no nothing. I then go to the BTW for the module and double-click the "setup scree", it says "No Modules Exist in the IOC Configuration for this R/G/M". It has data in the table I'm sure because the process wouldn't be running if it didn't. Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong please? Thanks much.

Are you adding a new 1771-IFE to an exisitng system?

Are you offline while trying to use Autopick to assign the BTR/BTW addresses?

If this is an existing card already set up, then you don't want to Autopick, and you can get the right data into the right places to allow access to the module config applet.

See post #7:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=20002&highlight=I%2FO+config+PLC5

Last edited:
STOP EVERYTHING! ...

if you're just "entering" the I/O Configuration for EXISTING/WORKING modules, then you should NOT be clicking "Auto Pick" ... you should be clicking "Done" instead ...

in most cases, this will give you a series of "error" messages - but the software will usually go ahead and "register" the module anyway ... this little trick is usually considered an "undocumented" feature that the RSLogix5 software will perform - even though it looks like it won't ... (are we having fun yet?) ...

"Auto Pick" is intended for situations where you're adding in a NEW module to the system ...

Last edited:
I have all of my modules on the config list, but I have one more small problem.... I'm trying to take the symbol and description from an old program and trying to copy it on to the active program. I copy from the old, attempt to paste it to the new, and I get a message that says "Description line length is longer than the maximum lenght of 20". All I'm doing is copying from one "description" and pasting it to another. Why would be getting this message, all things being equal? I have looked around for a place that I can set a higher number than 20 for the description but couldn't find anything. Thank you

I think you're trying to paste into the SYMBOL area ... that works like a "nickname" and can only be about 20 characters long ... this has to be all capitals - with no spaces or other "punctuation" type characters allowed ...

try pasting into the DESCRIPTION field instead ... that area has a lot more room - and can contain spaces and other "punctuation" type characters ...

BE CAREFUL YOU ARE PLAYING WITH SNAKES!!!!

Before you cycle power make sure your configuration data is the exact same. One small bit change can be a show stopper.
I followed a programmer that had 1 card in a rack that always had to have the BTW manually cycled after a "go to run" transition. There was another BTW in the program that he overlooked.
I bet more that a few dollars that the I/O was configured once. Try to upload and merge the offline file with the online file. See where the new data that you spent hours building is? Just for fun.

try pasting into the DESCRIPTION field instead ... that area has a lot more room - and can contain spaces and other "punctuation" type characters ...[/quote]

That's the field I'am copying and pasting to. For some reason, I copy from the description field on one project, go to paste it onto the active project and it gives me the error that it exceeds the maximum length of 20, in the description field.

can you post a screen shot of the error you're seeing? ...

and exactly where are you Copying the Description text FROM? ... just guessing, but MAYBE it's all one long string - which is longer than 20 characters ... in other words, maybe it needs something line a "line break" at least every 20 characters or so ...

descriptionlength.JPG

can you post a screen shot of the error you're seeing? ...

I don't know how.

The computer that is running the program isn't connected to the internet, it's connected to a network w/o internet capability. I'm on the actual "I/O Config", "Display Chassis", "Display Module". That's where I'm trying to copy/paste from. From an old program onto the new, in the actual I/O config.

OK that us the problem in the I/O tables under the card is the problem. Open the Data table and type in the data as Ron has shown in the above screenshot.

I have had this problem myself.

Did you try the upload and merge that I posted above in post 8?

Did you try the upload and merge that I posted above in post 8?[/quote]

Yes, there isn't any info. When Ron and I spoke on the phone last week we looked at the I/O configs together and it didn't have the info on his copy either. Also, an engineer from the company that is rebuilding this process looked, he couldn't find anything, that's why I'm doing it now.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, I can't copy and paste where I'm trying to. I have to go to each individual input or output, say from the data table page, and put my info in there. Is that right?

Almost like I have wasted more than a few hours doing this huh? Been there done that.

I finally figured out how to do it. Use the ONLINE file. DON'T use the offline version.
I created screen shots of every configure the first time. Then I git smart and did a excel sheet with all the data. Did a compare of before and after. If there is any differences that should through a huge Red flag.