Different PanelView Plus versions.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi all.

Can someone give me in a nutshell what the difference is between these:
PanelView Plus.
PanelView Plus 6 (with Win CE).
PanelView Plus 6 (with Win CE extended).
PanelView Plus CE.

Thanks.

edited. Was confused that there are several "CE" versions.

Last edited:
I don't know about the new ver. 6 panelviews yet. But, the CE versions of PV+ allowed the CE OS functionality to be exposed to the user. So you had a CE desktop and could run third party CE programs. Go here, there is some explaination about the new PV+: http://post.automationfair.com/

So PanelView Plus 6 is a completely new version that replaces the previous "non-6" versions ?

I found a pamflet that basically just says that it is more performant.
Am curious as to what are the differences between the standard CE and extended CE versions. Closed vs. open maybe ?

The PanelView + 6.0 uses a different logic module. The terminal has faster processor more memory and a Windows CE6.0 operating system. The PV+ 6 no longer supports RIO.

Thanks for that jkerekes and TWS.
For PV+ 6, is it correct that there is only serial and ethernet available ? So that means no DH+ and no RIO.

I forgot to ask:
What are the PanelView Plus "compact" terminals ?
(not to confuse with "component" terminals)

Jesper

I always use CE model Panelviews because they have VNC so you can remote control the panel and they have viewers for autocad prints right on the panel as well as pdf views and others

You can assign buttons in the application to open the encoder user manual for example.

I don't have and V6 pv yet but i know they are all ce because the vnc and other feature are default on the pv plus 6 so assume the ce extended gives you a little more but i don't know specifics.

I hate non CE panelviews they are a real PITA for remote support.

Jesper if you look on the selection page here http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2181376/1239781/1670480/10791114/tab6.html

You will see there is only the standard 6 model and the extended. The extended has the file viewers and vnc like i was talking about in my last post. Both say CE because that is the OS but only the extended is open for third party apps.

Here is the PV Plus 6 user manual http://samplecode.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711p-um006_-en-p.pdf

This is the pv 6 overview http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pp/2711p-pp010_-en-p.pdf

This link is for the standard CE and describes the add on stuff pretty good but it is for pre 6 models but the add on stuff is the same http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pp/2711p-pp007_-en-p.pdf

Also as a note the displays from pre 6 pv will work with the new v6 logic modules.

You can change a standard pv to CE by just changing the OS RAM. Cheaper than replacing the whole thing.

Jesper

I always use CE model Panelviews because they have VNC so you can remote control the panel and they have viewers for autocad prints right on the panel as well as pdf views and others

You can assign buttons in the application to open the encoder user manual for example.

I don't have and V6 pv yet but i know they are all ce because the vnc and other feature are default on the pv plus 6 so assume the ce extended gives you a little more but i don't know specifics.

I hate non CE panelviews they are a real PITA for remote support.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but you have piqued my interest.

I have just finished a project with a new 15" PV+6 with the intention of having FT ViewPoint capability on it for remote access.

Little did I know that ViewPoint is not all that great and can't even display alarm lists or banners and has a good way of mangling existing text and graphics.

Are you telling me that if I use a PV+ CE logic module instead, I can just run VNC server on the PV and remotely control and view, for free??

Are there any other downsides to running a CE based system as opposed to a standard PV+6?

I guess with VNC that the remote client would "take over" the HMI, as opposed to ViewPoint that sort of runs in the background or in "tandem" with the local HMI screen?

Appreciate any information.

Thanks!