Switching to Oil and gas industry . ??

bornwild

Hey all,,

This is my first job. Completed 1 year a couple of days ago. Working in maintenance department. Even though i get to learn a lot i am not satisfied. I got exposure to most of the automation protocols, plc , communucation panelviews . I just wanted to ask if i switch to oil and gas sector. Will my experience count. I mean does it have any automation ? Please let me know. I am getting peanuts here in this company. I just joined to get a bit of experience and it becoming hard for me to survive with this pay. Also, People here are not helpful .Not only do they not show but they try to hide things. I think i am fed up of this. Please advice.

PS: i am interested in commissioning jobs (automation). Please if some one has a vacancy please message me

Hello,

I switched to oil and gas a few years ago (uk sector) and I'm still undecided if its the right move. Positives - time off and money. Thats it, nothing else. Negatives.... where would i start!! With regards to automation, there is very little that you would be allows to touch (from a protocol, comms side as you mentioned). If you are maintenanced trained (instruments??!) you will be doing very mundane routine tasks.

Many many people struggle with being away from home and family whiich is a big concideration.

Having said all that if you switch to O&G and manage to get a nice office job then it can be anice little number. Depends which way you wish to go.

Thats all in my personal experience you understand. Am sure others on here could give you another point of view!!

from a technical standpoint I would think that the oil and gas is an easier industry to work in from a technical standpoint, compared to say a manufacturing facility where you have lots of fast moving equipment with little to no tolerances.

thats been my experience in my 8 years of oil and gas service. Communications experience is a very necessary part of the industry since most of the time you will have remote locations and alot of different types of equipment communicating back to a hub somewhere.

Are they any graduate programs.? I have worked for a year but i think I am still fresh. Can some one tell me how do i get into this industry

Hello,

I switched to oil and gas a few years ago (uk sector) and I'm still undecided if its the right move. Positives - time off and money. Thats it, nothing else. Negatives.... where would i start!! With regards to automation, there is very little that you would be allows to touch (from a protocol, comms side as you mentioned). If you are maintenanced trained (instruments??!) you will be doing very mundane routine tasks.

Many many people struggle with being away from home and family whiich is a big concideration.

Having said all that if you switch to O&G and manage to get a nice office job then it can be anice little number. Depends which way you wish to go.

Thats all in my personal experience you understand. Am sure others on here could give you another point of view!!

So how is it like . I mean one month offhshore and 1 month off. Is it like that.?

Depends on the company. Some do 28/28, some do 14/14 it depends.

inst_tech hit the nail on the head. Positives are time off and money. Other than that it is just like any other job.

I transitioned from the automotive industry and it was an easy switch. Lots of automation going on in the new generation drillships and semi-subs.

Are they any graduate programs.? I have worked for a year but i think I am still fresh. Can some one tell me how do i get into this industry

The usual way - look for jobs being advertised, think of whether anyone you know might have some useful contacts. Make a list of companies that might have engineering or maintenance divisions in your area and check their websites for vacancies.

One thing I'd note, having worked in jobs which require me to be away from home for long periods at a time - best to do these things while you're young and unattached, rather than when you have a young family or similar....

diat150 is right, from a technical point of view O&G is WAY easier than manufacturing!

With regards to the rota, i work 2 weeks offshore, 2 weeks at home, 2 weeks offshore then 4 weeks at home. The cycle continues like that. Works out that i "work" 21 weeks a year for just over 50K a year. When people hear that they think GREAT however the way i look at it every second you are on the platform there is a risk. A big risk. Depending on platform, a very big risk. North sea guys would know what i mean.

ELake20 was correct about increased automation on newer installations however of anything goes wrong the vendor (ie original manufacturer) is the ones who fix it.