Rockwell Controllogix talk to Horner PLC by Ethernet?

wilsonzhu

Hi All,

I have a question, is it possible to exchange data between Rockwell Controllogix with Horner PLC by Ethernet Tcp/IP?

Thanks,

If you open up a new project and use say an XL10E which comes with the build in Ethernet, go to controller hardware and under the Ethernet set up check the Ethernet IP box.

You will need to do a bit of reading on setting up what you need to set up as far as logic and data exhance.
I haven't done Ethernet IP personally (I'd like to get a chance) but the basic setup it should be described under the protocol help.

When you set up the protocol, you will need to map registers which are "produced-Consumed" tags in Allen Bradley terminologu.
Click on the Configure Selected protocol and in the pop up window enter your registers that will be used for data axchange.(Horner registers that is).
As this is a produced/Consumed setup it should be easy to get the AB side working as well.
No CIP messages as far as I can tell.
Pretty straight forward.

When you set up the protocol, you will need to map registers which are "produced-Consumed" tags in Allen Bradley terminologu.
Click on the Configure Selected protocol and in the pop up window enter your registers that will be used for data axchange.(Horner registers that is).
As this is a produced/Consumed setup it should be easy to get the AB side working as well.
No CIP messages as far as I can tell.
Pretty straight forward.

I checked this out yesterday and I am confused. Where do I enter the Rockwell tag name in the Horner software so that I can consume? What tag name do I enter into RSLogix to Consume there, from the produced Horner data?

I assumed the Horner system acted like a Class 1 Implicit adapter (note the word assume here - I really have no idea how this works with Horner), but could find no reference to the actual instances needed in any documentation, nor an eds file (though eds file does not do much good for configuring the generic module in RSLogix5K, but we can reverse engineer from it). Can some one point us to the documentation as I must have missed it.

I checked this out yesterday and I am confused. Where do I enter the Rockwell tag name in the Horner software so that I can consume? What tag name do I enter into RSLogix to Consume there, from the produced Horner data?

I assumed the Horner system acted like a Class 1 Implicit adapter (note the word assume here - I really have no idea how this works with Horner), but could find no reference to the actual instances needed in any documentation, nor an eds file (though eds file does not do much good for configuring the generic module in RSLogix5K, but we can reverse engineer from it). Can some one point us to the documentation as I must have missed it.

Hi All,

I have a question, is it possible to exchange data between Rockwell Controllogix with Horner PLC by Ethernet Tcp/IP?

Thanks,

Wondering if anyone had an answer to this post. We have an upcoming project where I will need to retrieve data from a Horner PLC using a Controllogix PLC. Thanks!

Last edited:
Wondering if anyone had an answer to this post. We have an upcoming project where I will need retrieve data from a Horner PLC using a Controllogix PLC. Thanks!
Yes it can be done easily via Consumed/Produced tags.
The Horner unit has to be part of the Control Logix I/O tree as a Generic Enet module.
The registers within the Horner unit must be set up using cScape.
I may upload a powerpoint file or convert to PDF soon.
I need to verify the file size (KBs) will work with the limits of the forum.
I have bench tested with a Control Logix and an XL10e.
I will bench test with a Compact Logix but honestly I cannot see any issues.
NOTE: The Horner unit has to have a built-In Ethernet port.
The expansion module won't work. (XL6e. XL10e. etc)

Since the Horner unit is part of the control Logix I/O Produced/consumed tags are just registers set up within the Horner unit.
Not the Rockwell defined Produced/Consumed tags.

Since the Horner unit is part of the control Logix I/O Produced/consumed tags are just registers set up within the Horner unit.
Not the Rockwell defined Produced/Consumed tags.

here's the RSL5K file.
I will need to look for the cScape file for the Horner side of the hardware.
Check out the I/O tree.
No need for messaging.
Also, check out the XL10e routine.
If I remeber correctly the limit is 128 words.
***** Change the file extension to (*.ACD)

here's the RSL5K file.
I will need to look for the cScape file for the Horner side of the hardware.
Check out the I/O tree.
No need for messaging.
Also, check out the XL10e routine.
If I remeber correctly the limit is 128 words.
***** Change the file extension to (*.ACD)

The Horner PLC will be provided by others and we will be monitoring their I/O in our PLC. So, I would just need to give the other integrator a list of where we want that info? For example:

Pump 1 HOA in Auto XL10e:I.Data[0].0
Water Flow XL10e:I.Data[1]

Or do I need to do any other setup on my end? Thanks for your help, I've never used Horner PLC's.

The Horner PLC will be provided by others and we will be monitoring their I/O in our PLC. So, I would just need to give the other integrator a list of where we want that info? For example:

Pump 1 HOA in Auto XL10e:I.Data[0].0
Water Flow XL10e:I.Data[1]

Or do I need to do any other setup on my end? Thanks for your help, I've never used Horner PLC's.

If you're setting up the Control Logix no need for other set up on your end.
They will need to set up the Horner unit (registers, etc) for communicating with the CLX over Enet/IP.
Forward your assigned words to them and they will need to map the internal registers to match your set up.

Keep in mind that the Horner now becomes part of your I/O which means if it goes down, then your I/O LED will start blinking. You CLX will throw a fault in such case.

I'll look for the Horner test program that matches the CLX I have already posted.
I will post on here when/if I find it.
Easy to set up on their end.