HMI Recommendation- old SLC500

tommy23t

Hi Guys,
Looking for input on HMIs for older AB brick SLC500- 1747L40C.
Tried the standards, bought Red Lion G304K with disastrous results, so I am looking for something that won't break the bank. It is basically used for selecting certain functions, setting timers, and some manual pushbuttons, more than the basic timer unit, but don't need a full blown screen either.
Thanks,
tommy23t

For DH485 and the very old SLC bricks, you're going to do best using the Allen-Bradley displays from ten to fifteen years ago. They're plentiful in the aftermarket.

It's the difference between "I know it works" and "I don't see any reason it won't work".

Ken, I was thinking that at the last resort.- Thanks
Allscott, just economics at this point. I am asking if they would consider upgrading to the Micrologix 1200, as I do need about 55 i/o.

I don't know what point 'break the bank' implies but the CMore line from AutomationDirect (not the CMore Micro) can talk directly to the DH485 port on those units.

Thanks, Bernie.
I asked their tech support and they were non-committal on whether it would work or not. The problem I had with the Red Lion was the cable evidently supplies either voltage or ground to the port (I call it the PIC port) and it fried the power supply on the plc. A-D sent me a list of protocols they support, but did not get a direct answer about the pure compatibility.

I was able to get a C-More to work with an older SLC brick (1747-L20) with a 2-slot expansion - but I didn't care for working with the C-More. It might be my familiarity level with the products, but I thought that it was more cumbersome to get the C-More to do what I wanted that it would have been with a G306.

Here is a thread about that: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=61599

If you can swing the Micrologix you'll be a lot happier with the G306 - the ML1400 would be a better choice than the ML1200.

I think Mike, Jesse, and Jeremy are just a few man hours away from making their DH485 driver work with these units. It actually needs to be a driver option to add the generation of tokens only when required.

It will work with the G304K IF you put a token generator on the network with them. I would string a DH485 cable to another 5/03, or a PIC+PC with RSLinx (if I had that stuff available) before I switched HMI brands, or go with the EZ Touch. They are crude compared to the G3, but very easy to program, and very fast running too. I have not used the C-More, but we have one EZ-Touch (predecessor to the C-More) and it has performed exceptionally well in a terrible environment. I would go EZ-Touch before PV Standard for price and reliability. I think its been confirmed that the EZ-Touch serial DH485 driver works with fixed SLC. The difference in those units also affects the 5/01 and 5/02 SLCs and there are thousands of those in the world in need of G3s...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=61599&highlight=Red+Lion+Fixed+SLC+token

I am going to PM the Red Lion guys and let them know they are losing another customer...

A few more of these, and I think they will get that driver done.

EDIT: PM sent.

Last edited:
I talked to them last week for one of these apps. I had a spare 4 slot chassis so I dropped it on the line just to generate the token. It worked but them I kicked myself for not just upgrading to the 503 in the first place. Hind sight. I guess.

The main problem started when I plugged in the cable and did not notice immediately the lights went out. Fried the power supply. When I contacted Red Lion, this is the response. My bad for not drilling down enough in the tech notes, but I think a major malfunction like this would be on the cut sheet with the cable. This I got from them:

> I do not believe that we can communicate to that processor, it is on
> >the list of excluded PLCs in the driver's info sheet
> >(http://www.redlion.net/Support/InfoSheet/G3-DF1DH485.pdf).
> >
> >However, if we could talk to it, that PLC uses DH485 only, with the
> >G304K you would need the CBLADK07 adapter and the CBLAB003
> >communications cable, along with programming the RS485 Comms port of the
G304K for DH485.
> >
> >The CPU faulting was most likely caused by using the that cable
> >connected the G304K. I know that other SLC CPUs have voltage on their
> >DH485 port, so I suspect the cable provided a path to ground, shorting
> >the CPUs power supply.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Dan

There lies the problem, I like the displays, the programming is done, and I am in limbo.

Thanks for the responses, I can't beleive I forged ahead without asking or even searching here. Just assumed (there's that word again :mad:)

tommy23t

No Okie, I did not miswire anything. I simply plugged in the cable I bought from Red Lion. Perhaps it was the wrong cable, I thought the plc had DF1, but apparently I need the 485. This plc only has 1 port, an RJ45 connector, so I figured I was alright- the worst it could do was not talk- wrong...Regardless, my beef was there was no warnings, the blowup took the entire weekend to remedy, having to find a mothballed controller at another location, unwire, replace and pray it was only the PS, rewire, reprogram, ect. And you see the response I got.

Bernie- thanks I do see that now and Alaric had luck with it. May have to go that way- thanks

-tommy23t