Recommendation for an Inexpensive PLC with Mobile HMI App

CX9020 would be an overkill for my project but CodeSys sounds promising. With the method you described, the mobile HMI app can communicate with the PLC from afar over cellular connection too?

Out of the box? No. You would also require an LTE USB stick for that. The CX9020 is about as inexpensive as you're going to get in the Beckhoff line, but it's a full feature PLC and embedded PC in one, and CodeSys based (TwinCAT). Anything cheaper that is an actual PLC, then you likely would need to look at Automation Direct PLCs. For basic home projects, they are fine and cheap too. Software is free. However, they are not Codesys based and as far as I know, they only have Ladder Diagram for programming :)boo:), nothing else.

The LTE USB Stick uses a SIM card to communicate with network. I will be using the PLC in a residential place where wifi connection is available. Also, you'd recommend CodeSys over the MQTT route for this scenario?

Last edited:
I use a Click Koyo with Ethernet for my absurdly overengineered balcony garden watering system. Shortly I'm going to spin up an Ignition Maker Edition SCADA for it - for a couple of hundred $, you could do the same, and it's exactly what you're after.

inexpensive would be something like a click PLC and ignition maker edition.

Anything that can talk modbus can use ignition pretty much, not to mention the plethora of other options.

For a chance to show one of my kids the kinds of things I do for work. I hooked up a Micrologix 1100 to my home network, set up an ignition maker edition application on my home PC, and then made a simple lighting/control board on it to operate from my phone while in the garage where the PLC was set up.

I'd definitely considered just getting some cheaper ethernet compatible PLCs to monitor different things around the house..

Sump pump pit level
Sump pump on/off frequency
Rain level sensor (all 3 of these in conjunction to help determine flooding issues).
Airflow/manometer pressure difference on the filter for the HVAC unit, to help see when exactly it's time to change and to set up a warning to change it before it becomes too restricted.

etc etc. your imagination is the stopping point, but ignition offers a ton of connection options and it's free for the maker edition (technically the full edition is free if you don't mind hitting a refresh on the 2 hour limit every 2 hours, or making a script to hit the button for you)

.... I assume I need some intermediary device that can host an MQTT broker?

Yes, the normal thing is to hire a server in a hosting that has a public IP
The broker can be hosted there.

If you want a protocol with robust security think about OPC UA.

You can also try my simple HMI for Android. It supports OPC UA. Link in my signature

I'm considering turning this home automation project into a side hustle in which case I cannot use Maker as Inductive Automation doesn't allow that. Their Perspective mobile app needs license which is expensive. That's why I'm looking for cheaper options to start out.

I think that having to install an app would be a hindrance.
Personally I dont intall an app on my own smartphone willy-nilly.
Also, when the 'HMI' connects and disconnects randomly when the app user comes and leaves, there cannot be any logging of alarms or process values in the app itself. Any logging would have to be in the PLC, so you could just as well make all the HMI in the PLC, i.e. let the PLC be a web-server.

I would look at any PLC with web server functionality that I am already accustomed to and maybe have the programming software for. There will be no license for the clients. Possibly there will be a license for the web-server.

You describe how you will expand the system slowly. The cost and ease of expansion of the IO will be just as important as the CPU and webserver part.
I recommend going for one of the usual PLC vendors that have low-end PLCs with webserver functionality and can be expanded over a fieldbus and distributed IO.

Of course there is the added problem of the parts availability. So to get started and be able to work with the system until the parts problem lifts, maybe go for a PC-based system, and in turn change to a hardware PLC of the same vendor.

Pretty much ends with Codesys or Beckhoff Twincat.

I'm considering turning this home automation project into a side hustle in which case I cannot use Maker as Inductive Automation doesn't allow that. Their Perspective mobile app needs license which is expensive. That's why I'm looking for cheaper options to start out.

There are too many all in one boxed setups for home automation that work perfectly fine though. I wondered to myself how lucrative this would be, but realized it's too easy to pick up a premade package that is customizable to be able to sell one to an average Joe. they want voice control also, so good luck getting an alexa or google device talking to a PLC with only voice commands. A lot of devices have the ability built in to communicate to things like ignition, but you have to know what you're looking for and setting those up felt like a nightmare last time I tried.

There are too many all in one boxed setups for home automation that work perfectly fine though. I wondered to myself how lucrative this would be, but realized it's too easy to pick up a premade package that is customizable to be able to sell one to an average Joe. they want voice control also, so good luck getting an alexa or google device talking to a PLC with only voice commands. A lot of devices have the ability built in to communicate to things like ignition, but you have to know what you're looking for and setting those up felt like a nightmare last time I tried.

Agree 100%, this isn't a good job for a PLC, get a $100 smartthings, or similar, and be done with it.

If you want a good use for a simple PLC/Smart relay and some photoeyes. Make some interactive halloween decorations.

a dresser that shakes and rattles when people pass through a PE beam. a hand that pops out from under if someone tries to touch it. etc all with low power linear actuators and either plug in power or battery power.

automatic candy dispenser that requires a kid to stand on a pad hold their bag under a chute, and then say something loud enough (like trick or treat) to set off a sound sensor.

you could probably sell 3 or 4 per year without trying for those houses that love to buy the overpriced animatronic junk from home depot/lowes when halloween comes every year.

My vote would be a Click PLC (<$100) with a Weintek faceless HMI (<$500) that includes VPN access. The mobile app is free You build screens on the Weintek and then view them from anywhere on your smart phone.

Last edited: