Recommendation for ModBus TCP Remote IO

BeepBob

Hello,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Modbus TCP remote IO. It pains me to have to use one. but yeah.

Just standard remote IO with like 8 24 volts input 8 outputs.

Almost everything supports or has some flavour of ModBus TCP these days. I would advise going with what suits your budget, and has local availability/stock.

These are great units.
https://www.ifm.com/au/en/product/AL1342
I have used these with few different PLC's.
Comes handy with process sensors. You dont need to connect to analog inputs.
Straight through IO Link.
Head module's each port can be used as 1xIO Link or 2 DI or 1 DO.
These are a cheaper option for remote IO's.

These are great units.
https://www.ifm.com/au/en/product/AL1342
I have used these with few different PLC's.
Comes handy with process sensors. You dont need to connect to analog inputs.
Straight through IO Link.
Head module's each port can be used as 1xIO Link or 2 DI or 1 DO.
These are a cheaper option for remote IO's.

That unit is £386, and has only 8 ports. The E1212 is £176 and has 8 in, 8 out.

That unit is £386, and has only 8 ports. The E1212 is £176 and has 8 in, 8 out.

A Siemens 1214 CPU is less than £386.

For cost-effectiveness, I haven't found anything better than a LOGO controller for a simple TCP remote. If there's enough IO that is, if expansions are needed it suddenly doubles in price.

Is the 1214 less than £176 though? No logo's have 8 outputs as standard, so by the time that is bought it is more expensive than the E1212. I've never used them, but I bet you have to do config to set them up as remote Modbus TCP. The E1212 is configured out of the box, just set IP and go.

Is the 1214 less than £176 though? No logo's have 8 outputs as standard, so by the time that is bought it is more expensive than the E1212. I've never used them, but I bet you have to do config to set them up as remote Modbus TCP. The E1212 is configured out of the box, just set IP and go.

I think a 1211 is around that price, but then you haven't got the option of IO.

Yes setup is required, so probably a balance of time vs money for that one.

I've been very satisfied with Wago's equipment. They have interface modules for most protocols and the price was quite attractive.