Recommendation on Switches

stretch_af

Just looking for recommendation on what others are using for switches.

I'm working on a parts list for a project. I need 40 ports. ControlLogix, 8 remote I/O racks and 30+ PF 525s. All on an isolated closed network.

Are unmanaged switches acceptable for VFDs and Remote I/O?
Is the price of Stratix worth it?
Any other brands that anyone have used? N-Tron, Cisco?

Thanks
Justin

i have used Ntron managed switches and Cisco rack switches with no issues.
i would not use an unmanaged switch, if memory serves me correctly, the manages=d switches only send/receive data when requested. the unmanaged switches send/receive data constantly. if i am incorrect, someone please correct me.
james

Just looking for recommendation on what others are using for switches.

I'm working on a parts list for a project. I need 40 ports. ControlLogix, 8 remote I/O racks and 30+ PF 525s. All on an isolated closed network.

Are unmanaged switches acceptable for VFDs and Remote I/O?
Any other brands that anyone have used? N-Tron, Cisco?

Thanks
Justin

Stratix is cisco.

I personally avoid unmanaged devices, just because they are really hard to get diagnostics out of. You can get away with it when there's just a handful of devices or if there's only 1 switch that everything is connected to. MAYBE if all the devices run back to 2 switches in the main panel it could be ok, but if there's a distributed architecture (swiches connected to switches connected to switches) unmanaged is asking for trouble down the road. They hypothetically work, except when they don't. When something goes wrong, at best you have blinky lights to look at, at worst, data just doesn't go where it should and you don't know why.

My experience is that switches typically top out around 24 ports, but 2x 24 port switches should get you where you need to be.

i would not use an unmanaged switch, if memory serves me correctly, the manages=d switches only send/receive data when requested. the unmanaged switches send/receive data constantly.

For EIP, if you're using the traditional multicast messaging, you need IGMP snooping in your switch to keep the traffic sane. Most managed switches support this, but some unmanaged do as well.

Not sure if you were referencing that, or if you were thinking of switches vs hubs.

Regardless, agree on avoiding unmanaged.

I've never used a managed Stratix switch that large, but I have done an 8-port managed Stratix and the configuration was very easy, at least for my application which was fairly straightforward. That being said, yours sounds straightforward as well, just a large network. The only issue with the managed Stratix switches is the price, I believe the 8-port switch I mentioned was somewhere around $4-5000 CAD in 2017 or 2018.

The Stratix 5200 will be replacing the 5700. I would probably go with those. I haven't used one yet, but will order one soon. The 20 port can have 20 usable copper ports, unlike the 18 ports of the 20 port 5700. Unfortunately two wouldn't be enough for you with a controller connection and a patchcord between them. Three will give you a bunch of expansion capacity.

We have a system installed using 3 Stratix 5700 20port switches daisy chained together to accommodate the 30 VFDs used. They are setup and used on the private side of the ControlLogix processor. They were also flashed with an SD card so it makes it easily replaced by the maintenance team instead of getting a dreaded 2am phone call. Another advantage is the automatic download of VFD parameters if the switch sees a new VFD. When our system was integrated, they didn't go that far so I can't say as to how well that works.

Stratix is a bit expensive for my taste but a standard we have to follow. If you're looking for NAT translation, that version adds another $600-800.

Personally, unless I need specific functionality only availabe in them, no. I've wasted too much of my life setting them up in that god awful interface.

Yes, I know I can learn the CISCO commands and use Telnet/Serial port, but I'm not in the mood to type all of that up when competitors have good old HTML interfaces that are fast as can be to set them up. And don't get me started on the backing up of online changes to the card either.

Why use a managed switch unless for security? They require configuration and don't really offer much in return. No, they don't blast comms out every port, they still learn MAC addresses and route accordingly w/o broadcast. I'd save money and not bother with the AB solution. Unless you really need to manage a switch, don't waste your money and time buying a managed switch.
I've been using the Pheonix Contact FL switches with good success. If you need GB speed, I think they have a model with that too. 16 ports and < $300. Pretty good. Need more ports? Buy more switches, the firmware will figure the routing out.
BTW, the last Stratix switch(many years ago) I used was so smart that it was dumb. Disconnect a cable from one port and plug it in to another, communications would be lost for minutes. Not that we do that often but sometimes we do for some reason. Stratix is a waste of $$$. 99% of switches have no reason to be managed.

Last edited:
FWIW Cisco licensing makes me stay away from them. I'm not sure if Stratix follows the same Cisco policies but I have had an integrator license them to himself for dev work (can't get updated FW without it) and getting them licensed back to the client when the work was done was far more work than should have been necessary.