Soft Starter Recommendation Home AC

What happens is when the compressor cycles too soon after a previous cycle, pressure is built up in the high side and starting requires more current than if it rests for a while.

Solution is to adjust the dwell by settings on the thermostat or adding a on delay relay next to the contactor. So if it rests for say 5 minutes after the last cycle, pressure is disapated and starting current reduced.

Home AC condensers/heat pumps use PSC motors. The caps in use are run caps since they stay in the motor circuit continuosly while running instead of a start cap that drops out once started. Hard-start kits are sold to help with high current/hard starting compressors. These kits are basically a start cap and relay that will drop out the start cap after compressor starts.

I'd try one of the previously linked hard-start relays.