1746-BAS issues

JOLTRON

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,

Siemens guy here and I'm stuck.

I currently have a few issues with some 1746-BAS modules.

I am trying to list the program in hyper terminal.
I rotated jumper 4 as it shows in the manual and start hyper terminal.

On 1 BAS modules I get:
SLC 500 BASIC Module - Catalog Number 1746-BAS
Firmware release: 5.00
Allen-Bradley Company, Copyright 1991
All rights reserved

READY
>

But when I type in "list" I get no response. Am I in the right area?

On the 2nd BAS module I get the same thing but with an added User EEPROM checksum error.

On the 3rd Hyper terminal just stays blank, never recieves the:
SLC 500 BASIC Module - Catalog Number 1746-BAS
Firmware release: 5.00
Allen-Bradley Company, Copyright 1991
All rights reserved

READY
>

Which is a bummer becuase this is the one of the 3 BAS's that is actually collecting data from the LVDT's. So I was hoping to list the program and copy it to the others that are not working.

Any suggestions?

I hope I explained it well enough.
-Joel

I have many Basic modules in service so this isn't a hard thing to do.

You said you rotated the JW4 jumper, but to what setting? Remember, the default setting for the communication port is 1200.

For the 3rd basic module, since the program is running, you will not get the > prompt. You must stop the program by typing in Cntrl C. This should return the > prompt. To get it to run, you can then type run.

You need to make sure you are communicating via hyperterminal at the same rate as the programmed port (depending on JW4 settings). Since you got the > prompt on the first one, I assume (bad word) that you are 1200, 8, none, 1, no flow control. On the 3rd module, you are probably communicating at 9600.

I would take one that has no program in it and follow what is on page 56 of this (http://samplecode.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1746-um004_-en-p.pdf) and get familiar with it before playing around with one that has a program in it that you don't have a backup of.

Last edited:
You said you rotated the JW4 jumper, but to what setting? Remember, the default setting for the communication port is 1200.
I attempted communication with all 3 by rotating the JW4 to the programming location. It was the only baud rate I knew for sure.

For the 3rd basic module, since the program is running, you will not get the > prompt. You must stop the program by typing in Cntrl C. This should return the > prompt. To get it to run, you can then type run.
I had JW4 in program mode, would the program still be running? I had a blinking ACT LED.

I would take one that has no program in it and follow what is on page 56 of this (http://samplecode.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1746-um004_-en-p.pdf) and get familiar with it before playing around with one that has a program in it that you don't have a backup of.
I will attempt to do this, it will be dificult since all of our BAS's are in production, and we don't have a AB trainer or anything set up since we are a Siemens shop.

Thanks,