using 1746-BAS module in Logix5000

JBooth

Hello,

We have an older SLC500 controlled system that is using a BASIC module to communicate to a third party device. Looking into converting the system to a CompactLogix. Due to cost, the company is wanting to keep the existing IO and put a 1747-AENTR in the SLC IO rack.

I cannot find much info on how to properly set up the M code in Logix5000 though. I have configured the module in logix to match existing configuration, with input and output of 8 words, and set the M0 and M1 files to 64 words as they are currently configured in RS500, but I don't know how to reference them in the logic. Has anyone done a project with something like this?

Looked at 2 pdfs below, 1 says no to compactlogix, the other says yes to 1746-ANETR?

Rockwell Automation Publication 1746-RM003F-EN-E - January 2022
Chapter 3 Replace an SLC 500 I/O Module
Specialty

1746-BAS Basic module No replacement —
1746-BAS-T High-speed basic module No replacement —

Says there is no replacement?????

The majority of SLC I/O discrete, analog, and specialty modules are compatible
with the 1747-AENTR adapter

Rockwell Automation Publication 5069-AP001A-EN-P - August 2020
746-BAS/B(1)(2) BASIC Module
1746-BAS-T(1)(2) BASIC Module
(1) This module supports multiple operating classes. The 1747-AENTR adapter automatically promotes multiclass modules to the
highest supported class. The 1746-NI16I, 1746-NI16V, 1746-NR8, 1746-NI8, 1746-NO8I, 1746-NO8V modules are promoted from
class 1 to class 3. The 1746-BAS/B, 1746-BAS-T, and 1746-HSCE2 modules are promoted from class 1 to class 4.
(2) This specialty module uses Advanced module connection. Refer to the user manual specific to the I/O module to learn about
its connection configuration requirements.

Maybe the solution is to leave the slc processor with the basic module in its local rack. And convert the rest over to compactlogix. Only communicate from compactlogix to slc for the basic module.

Entire IO is staying in slc, no IO on local rack of CompactLogix. I think i'll be able to figure out the configuration and connection. Just need to find out how to actually use the modules buffer memory in the program.

I have not tried this. I'm thinking reading data from it would require a MSG instruction configured as a Block Transfer Read. Then you would send data and configuration settings to it using a MSG configured as a Block Transfer Write.

M files do not exist in the 5000 family. Block transfers would support up to 8 words of data.

OG

After digging around and thinking things through a bit more, i think the addressing is all built in and handled in the configuration. Instead of setting my input assembly to just the size of the output data table of the module, i set it to the size of output data table + M1, then assign the offsets so that the M1 data populates the input assembly right below the output data. Won't know for sure until i'm able to test it out though...

Last edited: