RS Logix 500 freezing when viewing data table

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
I recently made a small modification to a program for a SLC 5/05. It reads 6 elements from a "F" data table in a ML1100. It reads F8:61 to F8:66 from the ML1100 and puts the values into F8:11 to F8:16, respectively. There is no problem with the read.

However, when I open the data table to view the contents, RSLogix (7.10.00 (CPR 7))freezes - every time. Actually, it freezes when I try to open any data table in the program. This has never happened before and it doesn't happen if I open the program with RSLogix another laptop (8.20.00 CPR 9). I can view data tables from any other compatible PLC with either version RSLogix and they work fine, so there must be some strange "bug" that was introduced when I added the additional MSG instruction to read from the ML1100.

I've changed the logic so that the MSG only reads 1 element, and I get the same result.

When I download the old version (pre-MSG), I can view data tables again.

If I have time later, I'll eliminate the read MSG and try writing the values from the ML1100 to the 5/05 to see if it still locks up.

Until then... Any suggestions?

how often are you executing the MSG command? ... if it's too often, then maybe RSLinx/RSLogix500 doesn't have time to communicate with your programming terminal ...

just a suggestion: slow down the MSG rate and see if that helps ...

MSG is triggered every second, but i tried every 5 seconds and it still locks up. If it also locked on the second copy of RSLogix, I'd be leaning towards the MSG as the cause, too, but it works fine. Actually, I just tried removing the second laptop from the Ethernet network and reconnecting to it through a VPN, using a tethered Blackberry as a modem and it works fine. I'm still leaning towards some small issue with version 7.10.00

Tried that, too. Actually, I had an issue with this particular processor a couple years ago that prompted me to adjust these settings. On-line edits would fault the processor. Gladly, the problem went away when the settings were changed. This is a new problem - processor doesn't fault, but RSLogix locks. Strange.

I guess, but it seems to be an unnecessary expense just be be able to see the data tables in this PLC.

You don't have to buy the update if you already have the software and a valid activation. At least, I didn't when I upgraded for using Micrologix 1400. Just had to download the latest version from AB/Rockwell's website.

I recently had a similiar problem. RSLogix 500 would freeze when I clicked on the description window in the Data Table Viewer. I contacted RA Tech Support and was told to reset the User Preferences as follows:

RSLogix 5, 500, and 5000 user preferences and screen setting information is stored in the Windows Registry, however you don't have to enter the Registry to reset them. Just follow the procedure below:

Start RSLogix with CTRL and SHIFT keys on the keyboard held down. Hold them down until RSLogix has finished opening.

Release the keys once RSLogix is up on the screen and the splash screen closes.

Check the FILE menu to see if the Recent File history is cleared. If so, you know this has worked and you can test your RSLogix software again to see if any screen problems remain.

I tried this and the User Preferences were reset but I still had the problem until I rebooted the computer. After that, everything was normal. Try it and see if it works for you.

I recently had a similiar problem. RSLogix 500 would freeze when I clicked on the description window in the Data Table Viewer. I contacted RA Tech Support and was told to reset the User Preferences as follows:

RSLogix 5, 500, and 5000 user preferences and screen setting information is stored in the Windows Registry, however you don't have to enter the Registry to reset them. Just follow the procedure below:

Start RSLogix with CTRL and SHIFT keys on the keyboard held down. Hold them down until RSLogix has finished opening.

Release the keys once RSLogix is up on the screen and the splash screen closes.

Check the FILE menu to see if the Recent File history is cleared. If so, you know this has worked and you can test your RSLogix software again to see if any screen problems remain.

I tried this and the User Preferences were reset but I still had the problem until I rebooted the computer. After that, everything was normal. Try it and see if it works for you.

I worked! Thanks.

BTW, another post mentioned upgrading RSLogix for no cost. it's funny my local distributor quoted me for the upgrade when I requested a version that would allow programming of ML-1100 Series "B". I had to get someone to re-flash a couple of processors back to series "A" so i could program them!

I worked! Thanks.

BTW, another post mentioned upgrading RSLogix for no cost. it's funny my local distributor quoted me for the upgrade when I requested a version that would allow programming of ML-1100 Series "B". I had to get someone to re-flash a couple of processors back to series "A" so i could program them!

If you know the name to which your license for RSLogix is registered and the serial number, you can update the software using the www with no human help required...

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/support/webupdates/