RS Logix 5000 Email Help

Rustythe3rd

Hi there, I am fairly new to plc and RSLogix 5000, but i need help ASAP, I need to be able to send an email to my personal account that a specific bit has triggered but am running into a lot of obstacles:

1) I cant edit the MSG instruction to setup the mail relay server because of an invalid tag operand and need to know what sort of data type the MSG instruction would accept

2) Just if anyone could help out with a step by step on how to send an automated email would really help me out: the manual and RA's manuals are pretty bad at explaining things

My Ethernet I/P module is already set up

Thanks again

Welcome to the Forum !

Are you referring to the "EtherNet/IP Modules in RSLogix 5000 Control Systems", particularly Chapter 8, "Sending E-Mail" ?

I was actually pretty proud of that one. Screenshots, example programs, pretty good stuff.

If you have a TechConnect contract, you can get an example program in *.ACD format from the Knowledgebase:

http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30937

The "invalid operand" error indicates you're trying to put a square peg into a round hole; maybe you're addressing a String base tag instead of the [data] array, or maybe you've chosen a REAL instead of a DINT.

Post details ! If you post your *.ACD file I'm sure a Forum member with experience in this can help.

Are you saying that you wrote that manual????

If So:
1) I am SO sorry to the bad explanation comment
2) That is a hilarious coincidence

In regards to the MSG instruction, I tried setting up multiple controller tags Named SetupMailServer, and tried the data types string DINT and BOOL, none let me edit the instruction

I think manual is very clear - all tags are "String" type
(no, I did not write this manual:) )

Start with technote Ken mentioned - it works with all communication modules except EN2T ver 3 or 4

I meant "I" in the corporate, team-effort sense. I've written some Knowledgebase documents but not user manuals.

Take another look at the manual and the example (if you can get it) and post your *.ACD. It's not a straightforward as peer-to-peer controller messaging but it works well once you get it running.