Rockwell Software resale

e27978

I have two installations of rslogix 500 starter that were purchased about 6 years ago and never installed. Why will Rockwell software not allow me to sale them on Ebay.

This page seems to imply that you can sell the software as long as all rights are properly transferred to the new owner by notifying Rockwell.

But much of the software on Ebay is pirated or illegally copied. Rockwell may properly discourage people from buying their software on Ebay because of lack of controls. many have been stung and wind up in legal trouble. Let the buyer beware.

Last edited:
It looks like from that site it can be sold and transferred.When my e-bay auction was removed they sent me a Rockwell email address to contact. I have responded to it with all the information serial# ect. Guess I will have to wait for a response. Thanks for the link

They will let you sell it but you need to be approved, there are a TON of black market sellers and they kick them off eBay all the time.... the majority are not legal

Give them a few days and they will get back to you, you should of also received a phone number that you can call

will not let me sell

This was their response
This Software is licensed to You -- not sold.[FONT=&quot]I am attaching our End User License Agreement (EULA) which will explain.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Registered Packages[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Customer:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] ROCKWELL AUTOMATION[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] MILWAUKEE, WI 53204[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] US[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Serial Catalog Installs Support Your Current[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Number Number Expiration Software Software[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Date Release Release[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]XXXXXXXXXX 9324RL0100ENE 1 02-JUL-04 6.00.00 8.30.01 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]RSLogix 500 Starter Programming Software[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]XXXXXXXXXX 9324RL0100ENE 1 14-OCT-04 6.20.00 8.30.01 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]RSLogix 500 Starter Programming Software[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Regards,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
I still don't understand why I can not sell it.I paid for it and it was never installed or registered.Does that mean I cant sell my unopened Xbox game to.

Because you don't "own" it. Just google "can't sell used software".

Along with DMCA, there are some extremely bad law/ruling in this country made by people who can't even set time on their microwave oven.

Can I give it away and if so can the person I gave it to register and sign up for a service agreement. The link above allows you to transfer ownership

It's a little confusing and contrary to common sense, but software licensing is just like that.

It's true that you cannot "sell" a Rockwell Software license. You can "transfer ownership" but you can't "sell".

The ownership transfer form is right there on the RSI website:

http://www.software.rockwell.com/support/regtrns/

As I understand it this is a subtle aspect of RSI's intellectual property rules and their contractual relationship with value-added resellers like OEMs and integrators.

As a practical matter you can't sell RSI software on eBay. You can find another way (heck, use MrPLC's for sale section, or accept inquiries on this thread), but not eBay.

Since this software is so far out of date, the buyer will have to purchase a support contract just to get a modern revision. You might find an existing TechConnect contract owner who just needs another couple of seats of RSLogix 500 Starter, but those are few and far between in the aftermarket.

Your boxed XBox game is a different animal; the opening of the package is part of the license contract. Same deal with "clickwrap" agreements for downloaded software.

The opening of an RSI box, installation of the software, or activation of the software have no effect on the licensing contract; it goes into effect when the license is issued by RSI and you take possession of the license envelope.

As a practical matter, when you're not an official reseller, you can only "give it away". And even that probably won't be allowed on eBay because it's a transparent dodge.

Person-to-person sales versus public advertisement are a whole different aspect of contract law.

I never argue with my friends who are lawyers. You know you're in for a long evening when Bob Flanagan starts with "well, technically....."

I've given up on even trying to be "technically compliant" with all of the mornic software licensing arrangements. I do not intentionally abuse licensing but I also do not hinder myself by doing what I think is OK. BTW, The floppy authorized software can can be copied on UNIX or Linux...you cannot coppy th e floppy on Windows but you can ude dd -infile, -ofile. I think it is wise to do because floppys are so easily wrecked.

This is not a copy it is an original the box sat on a shelf from the time it was purchased until about three weeks ago when an office was cleaned out.It has never been installed the floppy is still sealed in plastic

Seems a bit (as usual) heavy-handed and probably illegal price pigeon-holing so charachteristic of Rockewell. We sold it to YOU at a price we came up with for YOU. Someone else may have paid 1/5 or 5 times the price you paid and you MUST buy it from your local distributor, In the US anyway, that practice is illegal and I wonder why noone ever(particularly distributors) challenges legally. Probably because of the "pain" they cause you if you caused them pain.

Seems a bit (as usual) heavy-handed and probably illegal price pigeon-holing so charachteristic of Rockewell. We sold it to YOU at a price we came up with for YOU. Someone else may have paid 1/5 or 5 times the price you paid and you MUST buy it from your local distributor, In the US anyway, that practice is illegal and I wonder why noone ever(particularly distributors) challenges legally. Probably because of the "pain" they cause you if you caused them pain.

Hmm....if I am not mistaken, GE Fanuc, Siemens, Wonderware..etc all sell their product in a similar fashion. No?

Indeed they do and I shold make clear that I'm not singling out Rockwell on this...it seems to happen when there sort of an "oligopoly" and the playing field can be well controlled insofar as the sales force goes.

This is not a copy it is an original the box sat on a shelf from the time it was purchased until about three weeks ago when an office was cleaned out.It has never been installed the floppy is still sealed in plastic

This is just my opinion:

1) Trade it quietly to someone you can trust. I think there that you could avoid prosecution for a handshake barter, even if you publicize it. R.A. is not going to go after you if you aren't a squeaky wheel trying to pirate the software and make a bunch of illegal copies of licenses.
2) Challenge the system and get nothing but a headache.
2a) Throw it in the trash save time and headache.
3) Put it back on the shelf, it's not going to get any less stale, but it might at least be a conversation piece

Paul