Control Logix L63 and MicroLogix 1400 Communication through Fiber Optic(Ethernet MSG)

pravinshinde

Hi All,

I have done communication of Clx L63 ad Micrologix1400 through fiber optic media(Msg),but I have encounter problem.

When I recycle power of Micrologix my MSG instruction in CLX gives an error and it does not start automatically.

When I again download the same programme in Clx it starts working.I am just reading data from Micrlogix.

@Ken--I have done test and logged error code,it is attached.

Msg Error.JPG

Thank you for posting the follow-up information !

For those reading only this followup, the original short thread is here:
http://plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=63824

The error code shown is a very ordinary 16#0204 timeout error, which you would get when the MicroLogix 1400 is actually physically shut down or disconnected from the network.

What I presume is happening is a TCP Connection problem.

When you cycle power to the MicroLogix 1400 controller, it necessarily forgets the TCP Connection it was using to communicate with the ControlLogix.

But the ControlLogix, because it has not been power cycled (indeed, I expect that the MSG logic is being re-triggered repeatedly) is still trying to use the same TCP Connection, which is being rejected by the MicroLogix.

The TCP Connection needs to be canceled somehow, and that mechanism is usually a Timeout.

You need to determine how long it takes for the TCP Connection between the ControlLogix and the MicroLogix to naturally time out when you disconnect the MicroLogix, and prevent the MSG instruction from executing for a little more than that period of time.

Do you have a managed Ethernet switch or another way to capture the traffic between the ControlLogix and the MicroLogix ?

Trying to setup similar communication with L61 and ML1400

Hi,
I was going through this thread and I am setting up similar functionality.

As machine is in operation, I am not able to full download in to PLC.

I am doing online changes as suggested in this thread.

I want to confirm that does this require SLC/PLC mapping to work?
Does this require full download or rebooting of PLCs, either ML1400 or L61?

Thank you for posting the follow-up information !

For those reading only this followup, the original short thread is here:
http://plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=63824

The error code shown is a very ordinary 16#0204 timeout error, which you would get when the MicroLogix 1400 is actually physically shut down or disconnected from the network.

What I presume is happening is a TCP Connection problem.

When you cycle power to the MicroLogix 1400 controller, it necessarily forgets the TCP Connection it was using to communicate with the ControlLogix.

But the ControlLogix, because it has not been power cycled (indeed, I expect that the MSG logic is being re-triggered repeatedly) is still trying to use the same TCP Connection, which is being rejected by the MicroLogix.

The TCP Connection needs to be canceled somehow, and that mechanism is usually a Timeout.

You need to determine how long it takes for the TCP Connection between the ControlLogix and the MicroLogix to naturally time out when you disconnect the MicroLogix, and prevent the MSG instruction from executing for a little more than that period of time.

Do you have a managed Ethernet switch or another way to capture the traffic between the ControlLogix and the MicroLogix ?

I want to confirm that does this require SLC/PLC mapping to work?
Does this require full download or rebooting of PLCs, either ML1400 or L61?

The function that was illustrated in this thread (a few years ago) is an SLC Typed Read executed in the ControlLogix CPU.

Such a message does not require the PLC/SLC Mapping feature in ControlLogix because the ControlLogix is not emulating the response of a PLC/SLC/MicroLogix controller.

And it does not require a reboot or reload of the controller. MESSAGE type tags can be created and configured at runtime in ControlLogix.

If the message was being initiated by the MicroLogix, both answers would be different.

The ControlLogix would be emulating the response of a PLC/SLC/MicroLogix controller and would need the PLC/SLC Mapping feature configured. In addition, MSG instruction control elements cannot be created while online, nor can rungs including MSG instructions be edited online in the MicroLogix. So both the ControlLogix and MicroLogix would require offline edits in that case.

Hi,
I was making a silly mistake by typing address as "Ethernet,1,192.168.1.1" instead of "Ethernet,2,192.168.1.1".
I assumed to use slot number of ethernet module in second field.

After going into detailed instruciton manual, I understood that for ethernet communication, I need to use port number for the ethernet module.

Case solved.

Thanks.