1785-L20C15/E firmware upgrade...

Mark-

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

I have a 1785-L20C15/E with firmware revision C.1.

It appears I need at least firmware revision D.1 or later. Searching AB in KB article 61405 near the end it reads: See KB ID 44966 for firmware update information.

I cannot access it because I do not have a TechConnect contract. A bud of mine that does have a TechConnect contract and says he cannot access it.

So, I cannot find out what I need to do to upgrade the firmware for this controller.

Anyone have any data?

The part number for PLC5 firmware:
F1785-LxxTSer#
xx - Enhanced Processor number. ie 11, 20, 40, 60, 80
T - Enhanced Processor type:
B
C15 - ControlNet 1.5
E - EtherNet
L - Extended Local IO
# - Series of the processor ( A, B, C, D, E or F )

The part number for a 1785L40B series D will look something like
F1785-L40BSerD

In the last year or so, RA stopped selling Firmware kits for the PLC-5 and began only repairing PLC-5 controllers via their formal remanufacturing service.

I'm not going to discuss whether or not this was the right choice for long-term support of the PLC-5 installed base (remember, I was one of the guys taking those phone calls) but don't be surprised when you attempt to order a Firmware kit and cannot order one through the usual distribution channel.

At one time (many years ago) you could get a reduced price for a firmware kit if it was purchased in order to provide compatibility with the 1785-ENET "sidecar", or if your system had been diagnosed with a known firmware problem that was causing a fault.

Hi,

I was able to get the flash upgrade to revision K.2 for the controller. I installed it and all is running. RSLogix/RSLinx can communicate with the controller on channel 0. As well as the DH+ port.

My initial problem that started this quest, I did not mention in the first post, is still present.

I am using a 1761-NET-ENI Series D Rev 3.21 connected to channel 0. All the programs I have tried to communicate with the PLC fail with the same error. The PCCC message response length is 0. Attempting to read N7:0, all the programs issue the same command, viewed in WireShark.

RSLogix/RSLinx also cannot connect to the controller. RSLinx sees the ENI but cannot connect to the controller.

So, either the NET-ENI is not configured correctly, it works with other devices (SLC, Micrologix), this version of the PLC controller only supports the old protocol, the cable is incorrect, should be transmit, receive and ground or I am overlooking something.

Watching the LED on the controller for channel 0 it does not blink when RSLinx is attempting to connect.

Ideas?

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for posting those details !

A serial port misconfiguration or mis-wiring matches the symptoms you've described.

An ordinary 1761-CBL-PM02 cable with a 9/25 adapter should be sufficient to connect to the PLC-5 serial port from the Net-ENI.

If you are wiring up your own cable, be aware that a null-modem connection between a DB9 and DB25 is 2-2, 3-3, 5-7. [RS232 pinout reference]

The PLC-5 and ControlLogix default serial error checking method is "BCC", while the SLC-500 and MicroLogix default serial error checking method is "CRC". Both the PLC-5 and the Net-ENI are configurable, so check both.

Hi,

I am using a cable I made from looking at the pin outs of the ports. It could be wrong. ;)

2,4 and 7 on the 8 pin
2,3, and 7 on the 25 pin

I do not have TechConnect but I will see if I can get the article.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi,

I tried BCC and CRC on the controller. I do not see in the ENI/ENIW utiltiy any place to change the error check type.

Thanks,

Mark

You've identified the correct pins but I can't tell from your post which is connected to which.

PLC5 MicroLogix
Pin 2 TX - Pin 4 RX
Pin 3 RX - Pin 7 TX
Pin 7 GND - Pin 2 GND

I might have been misremembering about the error checking, in which case the 1761-NET-ENI supports only CRC error checking.

If you can get a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable and 9/25 adapter to test with you can be certain the cable isn't the problem. I've certainly spent lots of time diagnosing serial cables with hidden wire/crimp/solder problems.

A serial breakout box will also show you if there's any traffic on the serial side. I think the PLC-5 Channel 0 LED blinks only on Transmit, but again it's been a long time since I had to check.

Be certain you have the proper EDS registered in RSLinx so that it knows how to handle the Net-ENI.

Hi,

Thanks Ken. That made a difference. RSLinx now sees the device, it gets the correct program name but it says 'Unrecognized Device' with a status of 'Unkeyed'.

According to a tech note, that has now gone to the Ether, the correct driver to use in RSLinx is the AB_ETH-1. And it also said if the PLC does not show up as a PLC then something is wrong. I think the tech note was the one OkiePC referenced.

So progress but not 100% correct.

Thanks to all.

More ideas?

Ciao,

Mark

If the RSWho browse shows the Program Name of the PLC-5, it had to get that over the serial link, so that's a good sign !

Does the RSWho brows show an icon of the Net-ENI, or of the PLC-5 controller ?

You might also need to download and install the EDS file for the PLC-5 controller itself.

http://www.ab.com/networks/eds/cgi-bin/detail.pl?file=CN/0001000E000B050B.eds

Another trick is to delete the Harmony.RSH and Harmony.HRC files in the RSCOMMON directory and let RSLinx rebuild them.

What revision of RSLinx Classic are you running ? A revision many years old might explain why the EDS files are not already included in your EDS library.

Hello,

RSWho displayed both at different times. When connecting via DF1 it displayed the PLC icon, same for DH+ and the Ethernet sidecar.

For the NET-ENI it displayed an icon for it and a question mark for the PLC. After the latest EDS and deleting the Harmony files, it displays the PLC icon for the PLC.

OK. RSLinx can now go online via the NET-ENI. WOO HOO!

RSLinx version 2.4

Arrgghh....

I still have the same problem with other programs. The length word in the response is 0.

Thanks for all the help and if you have additional suggestions, I am all eyes. ;)

Cheers,

Mark