PLC5 local chassis need to add an Input card

jwag5

I am using a PLC5 with AI software, i have inputs in slots 0-6 and outputs in slots7,10,11&14. I need to add an input card but i am not sure where or how to configure it.
A little help please.
Thank you,
Jwag5

PLC-5 I/O Addressing could get a little complicated and the fact that your Input and Output modules are separated suggests that you're using one of the less flexible modes.

A "Rack" in PLC-5 is eight Input Words of data and eight Output Words of data. What you have in your sixteen-slot chassis might be two Racks (0 and 1) or it might be one Rack that's split up into Complementary halves.

If you can determine what the Output address is of the first Output module (the one in the eighth slot, numbered "10" in Octal) that would help.

The settings of the DIP switch on the backplane behind the PLC controller would help. The meaning of these switches is described in the User Manual; it's in Appendix E of the Enhanced PLC-5 User Manual.

And if you can post the model of PLC-5 controller and maybe the type of IO modules (8 or 16 or 32 point ?) that would help too.

Remember that the PLC-5 does not support removal and insertion of modules while the backplane is powered up. Do not remove or insert the PLC controller or any I/O modules while power is still applied to the chassis power supply.

This is a PLC5/25 and the input card to add is IA16.
I have 1-slot addressing according to the back plane. The first output address is O:7/0-O:7/17 the second in slot 8 is addressed as O:10/0 - O:10/17. All I/O is 16 point in this system.

I am wondering if the PLC5/25 will pick up the new input card automatically, then I would have to edit the program to use it.

I don't want to knock out a system that needs to run on Monday.
I appreciate any info.
Thank you,
J

p.s. I understood the part about powering down before adding or removing a card. thanks!

Last edited:
I'm confused, in your first post you said you have output cards in slots 7,10,11&14.
In your last post you said the second output card is addressed O:010/0-O:010/17. That would put an output card in slot 8.

In the PLC5 world I/O configuration is documentation only. No need to configure an input card. Just power down and plug it in. The addressing depends on which slot you put it into. Tell us which slot and someone will help with the addressing if you need it.

The documentation is a very nice thing to have though.

I Shut down the power, installed the IA16 input card into slot 17; then powered up. I went online remrun into online edits inserted some rungs with an XIC and an OTE I added some descriptions to ID them and then tested them by jumpers to verify the changing states in both the input monitor and bit file.

I apologize for the miscommunication, incorrect nomenclature and want to thank you both for your help.

J

Good to hear all is well.

I Shut down the power, installed the IA16 input card into slot 17

As Ken pointed out addressing for PLC5's can/is very confusing. Your 16 slot chassis only has 16 physical slots ( I/O cards) not 17. Because there are 8 logical slots pre rack the 15th slot of your 16 slot chassis has an address of Rack 1-Group 7. Putting your input card in slot 15 gives you an address if I:017/0-17.

If your chassis were configured for 2-slot or 1/2 slot addressing things would be different then the above.

I:017/0-17
I for input
01 for rack 1
7 for group 7
0-17 for bit address (octal just to make it more confusing)

Hopefully Ron or Ken will check in and explain it as only they can.

See picture below

addressing.jpg