brain dead, need some advice

hounddog

have a application that will involve a temperature controller controlling how hot a plate will get in a test setup up.
The temperature will be set to reach 350 degrees, then maintain for 30 seconds, then allowed to cool down to 100 degrees, then repeat cycle. A plc will be used to tell the temp controller to start heating, then when the preset is reached, a output from the temp controller will be fed back into the plc, which will be used to start a timer, then after 30 seconds, stop temp controller from heating until the temperature has dropped down to 100 degrees.
Here is what i am confused about, my boss wants this setup configured and just sit and cycle for days, and to be able to know how many times it cycled, and the average time it took to reach the preset, and the average time it took to cool down over a period of for example hours or days.
I may be looking at it long, but once you start the process from start, start a timer, once the preset is reached move the value of the timer into a interger, when preset reached, plc input will see that and turn off the temp controller enable and at same time start another timer, once temp controller cools down to 100 degrees, another output from temp controller will let plc know and that timer will stop, and at same time the temp controller enable will turn back on and casue plate to heat back up and repeat cycle. What would be the best approach on how to take the values placed in the interger that contains the value of how long it took to heat to preset and then cool down and be able to average that? Hope this makes sense, hopefully tomorrow it will just jump out, but was told about this on the way to the car and at the moment, not exactly sure the best approach. Already have a used ab 1100 plc and some temp controllers laying around so that was what i was told to use. Thanks

You did very well and have much of the project. The only problem seems to be the averages.

Before beginning prepare three registers by setting them to zero. Using the 1100 you may want to use the Long data type. They will be Count_Of_Cycles, Total_Heating_Time, Total_Cooling_Time

As each phase (heating then cooling) finishes ADD the accumulator of the respective timers to the 'Total' When 'heating' is finished add the accumulator of the 'heating' timer to Total_Heating_Time. In the same manner store the cooling time. Also when the cooling time is done add 1 to the Count_Of_Cycles. Then compute the averages so far and begin another cycle.

Thanks bernie, always look forward to your reply. Will take your advice, would you have a sample code? I know this is gotta not be as difficult as i thought at first.

You did very well and have much of the project. The only problem seems to be the averages.

Before beginning prepare three registers by setting them to zero. Using the 1100 you may want to use the Long data type. They will be Count_Of_Cycles, Total_Heating_Time, Total_Cooling_Time

As each phase (heating then cooling) finishes ADD the accumulator of the respective timers to the 'Total' When 'heating' is finished add the accumulator of the 'heating' timer to Total_Heating_Time. In the same manner store the cooling time. Also when the cooling time is done add 1 to the Count_Of_Cycles. Then compute the averages so far and begin another cycle.

Still a little confused on how to compute the average, for example you start heating, once heating is reached add 1 to count of cycles, add time it took to total heating time, lets say this happens a couple of times, what would be the best way to figure the average? Thanks

There's no way to answer this without sounding condescending...

Divide the Total time by the count.

Condescending, man that kind of stuff does not bother me at all, always willing to learn, it all fell together pretty good on the bench test today, was having a brain **** day, ever had one of those, been working with omron and ab first of the week, siemens later that night and then setex and back to ab and then a mitsubishi later that afternoon, makes a old man like me get confused. Hard to keep up with it all.