RSLogix 5 Ladder Symbol Query

proflex

I am converting an existing program from RS Logix to Siemens S7. I only have a PDF of the RS Logix 5 ladder.

Can someone please help to clarify the difference between the 2 different relay symbols, one with straight bars and the other like 2 L's back to back?

I attach a quick PDF showing the 2 different symbols.

I do not find the explanantion in any of the AB documentation I have.

Thanks in advance for your help!

John

I Think they're the same.

I've got RSLogix 5 and 5000 and you only get the one XIC instruction which is represented on the ladder as:

---] [---

I would suggest that the PDF formatting has omitted the upper and lower horizontals on some of your rungs.o_O

Cheers,

Lee

as Outrage said, they ARE exactly the same ...

depending on the font being used, sometimes a PDF "printer" will do a less-than-perfect job of converting from the original text ...

BUT ...

be very careful ...

sometimes the same PDF will INTERMITTENTLY do a very weak rendering of the "slash" between SOME of the brackets ... in simple terms, if it can mess up a bracket, it can also mess up a slash ...

if you happen to miss the few pixels which represent a slash, the XIC instruction that you enter will give you the OPPOSITE effect from the original XIO ...

that will fall squarely in the "bad" column of life's experiences ...

and welcome to the forum ...

Last edited:
Ron, have you noticed the 'missing slash' more with one 'PDF Printer' than another or possibly when 'printing' to one page size more than another? Part of the documentation we send to customers is a PDF 'printout'. I haven't been inspecting them closely. Maybe I should, though it would be very hard to pick out an intermittent.

no, I can't say that one "printer" does it worse than others, but I have noticed that SOME characters do tend to come out sort of "wishy-washy" from time to time ... it seems to have to do with the random line of text that the character is located on ...

the slashes for the XIOs on one line will be acceptable - but those on the very next line will be very weak (missing some pixels here and there) ... notice how the brackets in the OP's figure are sort of "hit or miss" and you've pretty well got the picture ...

the next time I come across a good example I'll post it here ... in the meantime, be careful ...

this is just one of those things that I've personally been keeping an eye on whenever I view any PDF file ...

periods (dots) are another ... many times RSLogix will only use one pixel to represent a dot in a numeric value ... I'm very suspicious of PDF files when it comes to decimal places ...

just as an example: whenever I print out a PDF of an RSLogix5000 program, the "dots" in the tagnames are very weak and barely readable ... then when I send the original paper copies through the printshop, the dots are usually completely missing ... believe it or not, I've had to draw the rungs of my "student assignment" programs out in AutoCAD in order to get a reliable printout that will go through the copy shop and still be readable ...

Last edited: