GE Proficy/ Rx3i assistance needed

Voltimus

Hello everybody,

Most of my experience has been in Allen Bradley applications, but recently I've received a project to take 5 compressor PLC (RX3i's) to a new central Rx3i, all via ethernet.

I'm curious as to what hardware I'd need first off. I'm guessing an ethernet module will be necessary, but past that, I'm kind of flumoxed and don't know where to find the information to set it up to where they will talk to each other and share information as the main PLC needs it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Read up on Ethernet Global Data (EGD) in the Proficy Machine Edition help files.

The following is from the PME help topic, "Ethernet Global Data, an Overview"
Ethernet Global Data is a mechanism that enables one CPU, referred to as a producer , to share a portion of its internal reference memory with one or more other CPUs, referred to as consumers , at a regularly scheduled periodic rate.

Hello everybody,

Most of my experience has been in Allen Bradley applications, but recently I've received a project to take 5 compressor PLC (RX3i's) to a new central Rx3i, all via ethernet.

I'm curious as to what hardware I'd need first off. I'm guessing an ethernet module will be necessary, but past that, I'm kind of flumoxed and don't know where to find the information to set it up to where they will talk to each other and share information as the main PLC needs it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Get the Ethernet modules and good switches and/or routers as needed. Then go into the RX3i CPU that will be the data manager and configure the others via EGD. Alternately you could go into each RX3i CPU and configure it's EGD exchanges.
Go here to learn about using EGD and search EGD.

P.S. I recommend staying away from the "EGD Management Tool" and laying out your 'Produced' & 'Consumed' exchanges in Excel.

Excellent help, thanks...

You've just answered 90% of what I've been looking for and in the last 15 minutes I've begun setting up consumed and produced tags from the 5 PLC's...

Best PLC place on the net...;)