Retrieving tag data from AB 1769-L32E

jbarney

So I've finally been able to manage to get the ip address set, and I've got connectivity via tcpip, as well as connectivity via rslinx classic, but I need to figure out what data tags are available to me for use in AdvancedHMI. Could someone point me in the right direction of getting started getting tag information (ie, tag addresses, etc)? Sorry if I am asking a stupid question, but I am pretty new to this, and am having to teach myself.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

So, could anyone be kind enough to point me towards some compactlogix reading material a complete noob could understand, please? I want to learn, I'm just not sure of where to start.

The CompactLogix I'm working with is loaded, and in a running process. I do have a copy of RSLogix5000, but it's evaluation, so I'm apparently unable to do anything online. (Wish I had known that before I set it up for the 5 hour download marathon.) Basically all I really need to do in the immediate future is to learn how to find out my data addresses for my various (variables?)things that I want to display on my HMI that I'm putting together. I can do this with Archie's AdvancedHMI using modbus tcp with another panel I'm including in the HMI that I'm working on, but it has a different plc. So, to get the tag data locations, will I have to get a licensed version of RSLogix?

Nah, if you have a copy of the program loaded in the CompactLogix, you can just open that up offline and get your tag addresses from it!

Lol... If only it were that easy. The people who did the install of the machine the PLC is controlling never left us a copy of the program loaded to the PLC.

Ok, in that case, you can pull a copy of the program from the PLC, but you'll be missing all the symbols and documentation(bleh). You would need a licensed version of Rs5k for that, or at least to be in the 7day grace period.

In RsLinx, you can also browse to the device(the processor itself) in RsWho and right click to select data table. That'll give you some idea of the tags involved.

hrm...that figures...there's GOT to be some way to find the addresses I need. We're working on a limited budget right now, so I may end up having to tell them this project will have to wait.

I've never been able to get any OPC to work yet with AdvancedHMI, as the OPC driver is still in development. Awesome product, though. I'm downloading ignition as we speak for the OPC UA server.

Wait, wait.

How critical is this system you're working on?

Starting out to "create an HMI" using an open-source project, no licensed tools, no copy of the PLC source code, and no knowledge of the technologies involved might sound like a grand adventure, but if you mistake "upload" for "download" and erase the user program, what are the consequences going to be ?

If you can get connected to the CompactLogix using RSLinx and your evaluation copy of RSLogix 5000 and upload the control program to post here, you can get some help in explaining what the various parts of the RSLogix 5000 program are. Hint: Go to the Communications tab in RSLogix 5000, and select "UPLOAD".

Be careful. This Forum tends to encourage entrepreneurship and self-teaching, but we also value the perspective to "know what you don't know".