PLC-5/40 Crash Log

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day. I have attached a notepad file that contains a crash log from my PLC. This happened about 2 weeks ago and the Rockwell Software Tech told me I will probably never see it again but upgrading the firmware on the processor might help. Well, it happened again. We have run the same program for years and the processor never faulted. We have changed the process slightly and had an automation engineer come in and write new ladder logic. The automation engineer insists it is not the program because that's what the folks at Allen Bradley told him. If anyone with experience with these types of crashes might be able to shed a little light on what is going on here, I would greatly appreciate it. The software tech at Rockwell says it's a stack overflow, which also doesn't lead him to believe the processor is faulty. Thanks.

The crash log probably won't do us PLC programmers any good as far as helping you...only folks deeply intimate with the PLC-5 would be able to make use of it.

ceilingwalker said:
We have run the same program for years and the processor never faulted.

Probably nothing wrong with the hardware/firmware then. The PLC-5 is a beast that does not go down easily.

ceilingwalker said:
We have changed the process slightly and had an automation engineer come in and write new ladder logic.

Well, there's where I would look first. If possible, zip and attach the code, and even the former revision that ran for years, so we can compare and see if something jumps out as being unusual.

I would be surprised if the programmer did everything by the book and uncovered some new firmware anomaly in the PLC-5 that hasn't already been fleshed out on such a mature product. I would not be surprised if he did something that unknowingly caused the problem, perhaps due to some other parameter that ended up affecting his work in an unanticipated way.