PLC 5 Firmware Crash Log Warning

Vetteboy

Since upgrading to RSLogix 5 V6.00.00 we are getting a message everytime we go online that a PLC Firmware crash log has been found in the processor on 3/5 of our PLCs. Now since we were having no troubles before the upgrade, I see it as a new functionality in the software, and not a real processor problem at this time. We contacted Rockwell as the message says to, but there is a lot of red tape involved in figuring out what happened. These units are 10 years old, they work, and I don't really care what happened. If it happens now, I care. If something happened once 8 years ago and this log is referring to it, I don't really want to know every time I go online. My co-worker said Rockwell told him to wipe out the processors and reload our programs to remove the nag. I was just wondering how many people have seen this, and if there is an easier way.

Gosh, that's a new feature I haven't seen. Nifty !

The PLC-5 operating system, much like it's bigger cousins, can log data into an internal memory file in the event of an operating system crash. It's by no means a common occurrence, but it can happen.

The data area in the PLC-5 bears the name "IBD", so the utility to retrieve it via the serial port is nicknamed the "IBDead" utility. It's not a public tool, and even though it's as bulletproof as they come (hook up, press button) I've had plenty of customers claim it retrieved no information, while still insisting they had a firmware crash and not an application fault.

IBD data isn't cleared until the processor is powered down and the battery removed. It even remains if you load a totally new application file. Sometimes it persists for years.

I think the going-online warning is a good way to make it apparent that you're dealing with a once-crashed processor, so you know ahead of time if the IBD utility is going to have something to retrieve.

Hi Ken,

Can you verify that IBD functionality has in fact been included in the latest release of Logix? If so, is there any restriction about how to get on-line to get at the firmware crash log (you mention using the serial port)?

I have a processor where I suspect a firmware fault may have happened, and would love to prove/disprove it. If the IBD functionality is not included in Logix, is there a way to get a copy of the tool?

Thanks,

Marc