PLC cards with different firmware versions

jakeparsons03

Hello,

I got some second hand 5069 cards to use as temporary cards until Allen Bradley shortages are over. They will be going in the same PLC but they have different firmware versions (2.014 vs 3.014) . Does it really matter if thats the case? I assume I can just upgrade one of the cards firmware to match the rest, I have just never had to do that before and want to make sure I am right before I break open the factory seals.

There are within each part number a series Alpha number.
The cards could be different Series A or B or C. Then you can flash back or forward to the earliest firmware number within that series.

The example i am showing is ethernet cards. As you notice there is a revision 10 and 5. If you had these cards in hand they would show a different hardware series.

Get the big picture?

ControlFlash.PNG

The good news is that 5069 series I/O modules can be flash firmware upgraded in the field using ControlFlash.

That wasn't the case with the smaller, older 1734 POINT series modules, and there are some Series A orphan modules that can't be used with modern CPUs or network adapters.

There's a trick to it: you have to inhibit the I/O connection to the module before you can use ControlFlash to update it. RA Knowledgebase document QA46788 has the details.

It's probably worth looking up the release notes for each module in the Product Compatibility and Download Center before putting them into service.

Alright so as long as my cards are within the same series, I can go forward or backward no problem and to do so I just have to inhibit the module I want to update. Got it.

Out of curiousity, does it matter if the cards are in different firmware versions? They don't really interact with each other, only the processor. Unless there is issues with the bus. I could also see the processor only looking for a specific version based on its own firmware, not sure if it can accept multiple FW versions or not.

Last edited:
Series letters can be confusing with Rockwell products. They denote either a significant change in the hardware, or a significant functional change (generally in the firmware).

Often, a Major Revision of the firmware corresponds with a Series letter, but not always.

Sometimes a Series letter is for a hardware change that does not affect firmware at all. A 1761-L6x CPU, for example, has a different board, battery, and serial port on Series A vs Series B, but the firmware can't tell them apart.

So... I'd say don't try to apply a general rule, and instead look up the release notes in the Knowledgebase.

What exact 5069 modules do you have with older firmware in them ?

I have a 5069-ob8 Series A 3.014 and a 5069-IB16 Series A 2.014. The PLC is a 5069-L306ER. Not sure what series/firmware it is, its going to be brand new from Rockwell.

I have a 5069-ob8 Series A 3.014 and a 5069-IB16 Series A 2.014. I am not sure what the PLC will be, its going to be brand new from Rockwell.

The PLC will be whatever version you choose to flash in it, which you will have to do when you receive it. They come with a 1.x revision, which has just enough functionality to flash it up to a proper version.

Mixing module versions is not an issue. As long as you know what you have when you program the system and select the proper version when you configure them.

A general rule of thumb for firmware versions is that if you are replacing a module with another module that is the same catalog number, but a different version...anything the same version or newer is going to be fine.

If you have an existing module that is version 2.xx and your replacement module is 3.xx you are ok. But if you are replacing a 3.xx module with one that is 2.xx that can be a problem.

This is because the default electronic keying setting for module configurations is to accept a "Compatible Module". Which really means it must be the same part number, but the version can be newer.

There is a setting called "Exact Match" where the only acceptable module would be the same part number and the exact same version. This is rarely used, but it is an option that someone could have selected.

If your replacement module is older but you have no other options, you could change the setting from "Compatible Module" to "Disable Keying". and this will tell the controller to attempt to use the module regardless of the catalog number and version. This should only be used when you have no other option and ideally it would be temporary.

There are occasional exceptions for all "rule of thumb" statements of course. But this should help identify the basics of what you can and cannot use.

OG

EDIT: You'll notice that on the Electronic Keying setting for the Compatible Module option (for the ControlLogix, not sure about the Compact) it specifies a major and minor version. That setting defines the baseline of what is too old to use. If I see it set to 2.0 then I know that the module I use must be at least version 2.0. It also forces that module to operate at that version. So, if I had a version 3.0 module but the Compatible Module keying setting was set for 2.0 then my module would operate as if it were a version 2.0 module. Any new features added after 2.0 would not be available.

Last edited:
i think there are a few rules i follow in it applies to servos. If you have a servo the firmware has to follow the PLC firmware as it is shown on compatibility. I had so many issues when i did not follow this and did not look for the exact match in firmware.

Sometimes the ethernet modules are firmware dependent as it relates to what devices are you talking to on your network.

IO cards really have not seen too many problems with firmware.

specialty cards depends on what features your looking for and that work with a certain firmware.

PLC firmware/software is depends on a few things: What are the other plcs level as it relates to firmware/software. Generally you would follow what is in that plant as it relates to firmware/software. Example: Is the other PLCs on studio at a certain revision then use that revision level? Some companies are so big or have their networks lockdown that they stay at a certain level until they have to due to out of date hardware not supported.

I am running into this situation again. If you get a new 1756 PLC from rockwell. Do you know what series it would be? I would assume they are all the same...

I am looking at second-hand cards and all of the "new/sealed" cards from second-had sites are series A. I assume the PLC will be as well but I don't know for sure.